Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fsm_forever Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Employer didn't contribute FICA taxes
    I work at a state college. When I was a student employee the college was not obligated to pay any FICA taxes. After I graduated I started working at the college as a full-time employee. Two years later the college admitted that there was a bug in their payroll system and that they had not been withholding any FICA taxes. They said I owed over $9000 to the government because of their mistake. They paid the taxes on my behalf and are now taking out money from each of my pay checks to reimburse themselves.

Obviously, if they had not had the bug in their payroll system I would have ended up paying this money over the two years I worked with them. However, am I obligated to pay my portion still? I've recently received a new job offer with another company. If I leave am I obligated to keep paying them back?

Any advice would be helpful,

Thanks!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Contact a good attorney
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Normally, students who work for their university ON CAMPUS are NOT liable for FICA taxes.

Contact the HR department have them check this out.

Jul 24, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Normally, students who work for their university ON CAMPUS are NOT liable for FICA taxes.

Contact the HR department have them check this out.
    I think you misunderstood... I've worked full-time for a few years now at the college. They screwed up and didn't start contributing for FICA after I started working full-time.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Does not matter if you were working full-time. If you were a student at the same university, normally students do NOT have to pay FICA taxes.

Jul 25, 2008, 06:36 AM
    I think my original question is pretty clear. I GRADUATED. I am no longer a student and started working for the college full-time after GRADUATING. They didn't pay my FICA for the two years I worked for them as a full-time employee. I was NOT a student employee because I GRADUATED. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to be clear about my predicament.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2008, 07:44 AM
    They are making amends for the fact that they screwed up by advancing the amount you owe and giving you the opportunity to reimburse them over time. I think that's fair. If you leave, then you will have to reimburse them for the balance they advanced. They may be willing to work out a payment schedule.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 10:13 AM
    While I agree with Scott on the fairness of how the university is addressing this issue, IRS procedures clearly state that employers CANNOT COLLECT the employee's portion of the FICA taxes once the tax year has closed.

If FSM_Forever left his current position, his employer would have NO LEGAL MEANS to collect the debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B - Employer not deducting FICA [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, The date on my opt is from May 2005 to May 2006. But meanwhile my H1B petition got approved starting 1st Nov 2005. But my employer who filed for my H1B was not deducting social security and medicare taxes till January. When I noticed, I asked him about this and he said it is a...

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all, I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are...

H1-B Employer did not pay FICA for 4 months [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My H-1B started from Oct 1, 2007 and my OPT expired on 01/12/2008. My employer did not deduct any Social Security/ Medicare taxes so far from any of my pay-stubs. My questions are: 1. what are the consequences of not paying the above mentioned taxes for 4 months?(My employer is going to start...

Employer requesting to be reimbursed for old fica taxes. [ 10 Answers ]

My husband worked as a contractor for 2 years and we would pay our own taxes in installmentsto the IRS ourselves. The state of CA then required the employer to reclassify them as employees for 2005 . They were reclassified as employees in September 2005 but the employer paid his share of ss and...

F-1 Opt, Employer with-hled Fica [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering what to do? I entered the U.S on Aug.23, 2002 on F-1 student status and graduated May 5, 2006. I am currently working for the school on F-1 opt and they are with-holding FICA taxes on my pay check. Do I receive the 5 year FICA rule? Does the employer need to reimburse me...

View more questions Search