Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inquirer10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 05:39 AM
    tax liability of beneficiaries on home in trust sold before vs. after death of owner
    Hello,
    My mother owns a home in CA that she lived in with my father for 50 yrs. My father passed away last August, leaving the home in an irrevocable trust with my mother as his successor. My sister is the next trustee listed on the trust after our mother dies and we are all considering selling the home before our mother passes. Would the tax liability be greater, the same, or less if the home is sold prior to, or after our mother's passing? The home has appreciated greatly in value since it was purchased in the 50's for around $58K dollars. It's valued now between 1.2-1.5 million dollars. Any ideas about the tax liability on this as an inheritance? Would it be considered an inheritance if sold before our mother's death since the house is in a trust, or would we do better to sell the home after our mother passes? (It is her primary residence at the moment) Thanks for any advice.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Before you start selling your house, you must learn more about the tax implications.
    If you inherit the house, your cost basis will be the fair market value of the house on the death of your mother. That means if you sell after inheriting it, you may not have any profit.

If you sell the house now, then the money you get from your mother is gift.

Read about Inheritances: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances
    Read about gifts: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 11:17 AM
    If the TRUST sells the house, half of the profits will be taxed as capital gains with an original basis of $29K (one-half of the $58K original purchase price) and the other half will have a stepped-up basis equal to one-half of the Fair Market Value at the time of your father's death.

The TRUST will have to file a tax return (Form 1041) and will have to pay these taxes.

Now, if the house is the ONLY asset of the estate, there will be NO estate taxes.

This is a simplified answer, however. Your situation is exceptionally complicated and you REALLY SHOULD contact both an enrolled agent AND an estate planner to get these questions answered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MN Home Owner Liability [ 2 Answers ]

If a branch from a tree in my yard is blown off in a storm and lands into the neighbors yard, who is liable for cleanup?

Home owner liability to injured worker [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cleaning lady who cut herself on a broken jar when taking out our trash. She had to have 5 stitches in her finger. Her husband's insurance covered all but $100 of the bill. She asked if I would reimburse her for the amount. Am I under any obligation to do so?

Selling home without informing beneficiaries [ 2 Answers ]

There was property left to myself and siblings by my parents. I just found out that it was sold and I was not informed (until after deal was done and money paid). Could the executor (sibling) done this without my signature or my knowledge. What can I do?

Apartment Owner Liability After Fire [ 1 Answers ]

An apartment building (3 units) caught on fire next door to a house that I own. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined or may not be determined. The building collapsed and burned to the ground. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. My house was...

View more questions Search