Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksbaddebt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Garnishment of Federal and State Taxes
    I have a judgment against me resulting from a personal lawsuit with a commodity business. The State District Court has ordered 100% of my Federal and State income tax refund be given to the judgment creditor. Almost all of the income was derived from wages however some was from unemployment. The creditor has taken 25% of the wages (not unemployment) through the year in payroll deductions. Why are they entitled to a 100% of the refund and not just 25% since it can be traced directly to wages?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 03:47 AM
    Because there is a court order.
    ksbaddebt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Cute answer but because a Judge orders it does not always make it right. I have had other orders overturned in this case. The logic to my question is valid and I would think it would have happen before but cannot find anything other then owing taxes and being garnished by IRS or the State in which case they can take 100%.

Now if someone has some meaningful information that supports or dispels the order I would appreciate it.

Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 07:21 AM
    What you are asking for is a LEGAL opinion.

This is a TAX forum, NOT a law forum, so you may be better served to transfer the posting to the LAW forum under AskMeHelpDesk.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2008, 07:27 AM
    I've moved this from the Tax forum. But you are missing the fundamental difference between salary and other assets. There is a limit on the percentage of wages that can be garnished because people live on their salaried income. An income tax refund is often found money and not truly planned for. Its considered a windfall and, therefore, subject to 100% attachment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal Tax return garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

Who can garnish my federal tax return?

ITIN for spouse for state and federal taxes [ 5 Answers ]

My wife did not have any income in 2007 and does not have a SSN. While filing for taxes I am claiming her as my dependent. I have a couple of questions: 1. Can I apply for an ITIN for her and file for my federal taxes simultaneously? If not, how long does it take to get an ITIN. I am afraid that...

Need to calcalte federal and state taxes for employees [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning I need some help I need to calcalte fedural and state taxes for payroll could you please tell me the number to times to get this answer. Thanks so much:)

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

View more questions Search