Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srinivasrapaka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Non resident alien 1099 misc
    Hi I am srinivas.I did from my masters from us university and worked on OPT for some time in 2006.When I worked in 2006 my employer gave me 1099-misc instead of W2.As some friends told that on OPT we don't have to pay self employment taxes.I just filed the taxes without paying any self employment taxes(1040).After 1.5 yr now IRS is asking me to pay self employment taxes.I Explained that I am non resident alien for that period.But IRS is not listening to my words.And asking why my employer gave 1099 instead of W2.I don't know what to do.Please advise me if anybody can.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 07:27 PM
    On F1 and OPT you are nonresident for 5-years. Your income is not subject to FICA or SE taxes. You can not file resident tax return. Read this: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Since you have filed resident tax return and claimed standard deduction (instead of deduction under tax treaty, which is still standard deduction), you will pay FICA taxes. Else, file amended returns for all the resident tax return you have filed up to now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-MISC Non resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I've been issued a 1099-MISC for an award I received (listed under Other Income). The organization paying the award is in New York, and I live in Massachusetts (though I'm filing as a non-resident for both state tax and federal since my tax home is outside of the U.S.). Do I have to...

Non-Resident F-1 Student 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

I worked under an OPT for about 2 1/2 months during 06/01/07-08/15/07, as a contractor doing IT work. I received a 1099-MISC form from my employer. For Nonemployee compensation : $4715.45 I am also a citizen of South Korea. I believe we have a tax treaty with the U.S for $2000 correct? This...

Resident Alien, F1 student, tax forms W2 and 1099 misc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, I am a resident alien (in US since 2001 on F1 visa) and currently on F1 status. In Dec. 2007 I worked for a small period and received a 1099 misc. ($500) and other than that I was full time student and got my W2 for the year. I am from India and my W2 is for the GRA work. My...

Resident alien F-1 received W2 and 1099 Misc [ 3 Answers ]

Hello AtlantaTaxExpert, Please help. I am a F-1 student from China. My status is resident alien since I came to US in Sept. 2000. In 2006, I worked for half year at a university (as a research assistant) and half year at a local company under CPT - Curricular Practical Training. I've received a...

Non resident alien student with both W2 and 1099-MISC reported income [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a nonresident alien student (under an F-1 visa) and I had a campus job for which I got a wage reported in Box 2 of a W2 form. During the summer, I got a job for which I got a 1099-MISC form (reporting my income in Box 7). As far as I know, I should file a 1040NR form adding a Schedule C-EZ and...

View more questions Search