Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    squonk 14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Dependent status
    If a father does not pay child support and the child does not live with him at all during the year, is he allowed to claim him as a dependent on his taxes?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Is there a child custody agreement and if so, does it state he is allowed to claim him ?

Next why are you allowing him not to pay child support, turn him over to child support collections in your state if there is one, or take him back to court. Sitting in jail a few weeks or losing his drivers licence, or better yet having his pay garnished will often make them such a better parent.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Also, if the state coordinates with the IRS, they will confiscate whatever tax refund he has coming until the back child support is paid off.
    dips122 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 10:19 AM

Does wife need to have a medical examination to be done if going on dependent visa ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 21, 2009, 07:40 AM
    This is NOT a tax question, but rather a legal question best posted on the LAW forum under Immigration Law.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 22, 2009, 01:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by squonk 14 View Post
    if a father does not pay child support and the child does not live with him at all during the year, is he allowed to claim him as a dependant on his taxes?
    Only custodial parent can claim the child. It does not count if he is paying child support or not.
    Also, non-custodial parent can claim the child only if the custodial parent signs a release Form 8863 or there is a court order meeting the IRS requirements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

F1 - H1B Status [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. In 2005, I was on F1 till May 2005. OPT between June 1- December 27 th 2005. My status changed to H1B on Dec 27th 2005. I would like to which form I need to file along with the deductions I am eligible for? Thanks

Dependent Care credit, CP & NCP [ 10 Answers ]

I have two children. During first 7 months of 2005 I was CP and I paid for daycare for both kids. During last five months, Dad was CP and paid for daycare. Custody Order states we each get to claim one child as dependent. But, we each have dependent care expenses (daycare) for both children. ...

Tax returns for H4 dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta tax Expert, I am on H1B visa and worked for the full 2005 fiscal year. I got married on December 6th 2005 and my wife arrived in the US on 12th January 2006. I am planning to file for my wife's ITIN number along with my Federal Return. My question is - For 2005 tax returns...

Claim as Dependent? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B and my wife is on H4. My son is a US citizen who was born in 2004. My wife and kid were out of US for 11 and a half months visiting my country on a vacation. I have the following questions: 1. Can I still file with "Married Filling Jointly" status? 2. Can I still claim my...

View more questions Search