Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamulk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Residency and Taxes
    I currently live in Ohio but am moving to New Mexico. I have a contract to stay 18 months. Do I have to file taxes in both states, partial year taxes or can I just file the entire year in Ohio?:confused:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mamulk
    I currently live in Ohio but am moving to New Mexico. I have a contract to stay 18 months. Do I have to file taxes in both states, partial year taxes or can I just file the entire year in Ohio?:confused:

Turbo Tax says (and this was my experience, NYS and Maryland): Ordinarily, you will have to file a state income tax return in each state in which you earn income. There are exceptions: some states will let you off the hook if you only have a small amount of income, or if you're in the military and stationed in a state that is not your home of record. A few states don't have an income tax at all. Figuring out the state filing requirements can be complicated if you earn income in more than one state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Residency? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm wondering what is dual residency? I recently decided to rent an apartment in PA for my job assignment in New York but my home is in Maryland. I'm not sure if this will be considered a PT resident in PA or dual residency? Any feedback is helpful! Thank you!

Residency status for taxes [ 38 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F-1 from 07/2002 - 07/2007 and then on OPT from 07/2007 - 10/2007 and now I am on H1B from 10/2007. Am I a resident for tax purposes or a dual citiizen? Thanks foe the help! Best Regards

What constitutes dual residency for Taxes in CA and DC? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a CA congressman, grew up and went to college in CA, vote in CA, and live in DC. My state taxes are paid to CA, but apparently I have to file a DC state tax return because I live there year-round and was paid a small amount for work I did in DC separate from my duties on a congressional...

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

View more questions Search