Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaab5389 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
    How do I file taxes if I am on disability?
    How would I go about fileing for taxes if my wife works and I am on disability?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Put one of you as head of household
    You might be eligible for $600. ESI rebate. You should be eligible for $300. On your disability and depending on your wife's income she may be eligible for $300. Or more.
    I went to a tax place and only paid $50. For me and my son. My son got the $300. Rebate with his disability.
    Someone here hopefully can tell you the forms you need to do it yourself.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Payments you received from a disability insurance policy that you paid the premiums for are not earned income. It does not matter whether you have reached minimum retirement age. If this policy is through your employer, the amount may be shown in box 12 of your Form W-2 with code "J." Then it will be reported as income.
    carolyn harris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 11:23 PM

If you are getting disability for you and you have kids can you file
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Yes, if your intent is to qualify for a second economic stimulus rebate, or if you failed to qualify last year for the 2007 rebate.
    jackiesnyc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 05:07 PM
    I am single and paying rent and receive disability. Do I file taxes and what should I expect to get back?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
    We need to know the NATURE of your disability.

If it is from your employer, it replaces earned income and is taxable.

If it is Social Security Disability and is your ONLY income source, then it is tax-free due to the low income level.

If the disability is from a private policy which YOU paid for, it is tax-exempt income.

Under the last two options, you probably do not even have to file a tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file taxes when receiving disability? [ 24 Answers ]

I am a single mother receiving social security disability. Do I need to file a tax return?

Paying taxes on disability [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who receives SSI disability. I used to receive SSI Survivor Benefits. I had to pay taxes on mine. She says that she doesn't have to pay on hers? Is this true? If so, will either of us receive a stimulus check?

Taxes on disability [ 2 Answers ]

My husband makes $70,000 and I made $23987.50 from disability in "07. Should we file married/jointly or married/separately? I have read that if total income for couples is over $44,000 than 85% of benefits can be taxed?

Disability and back taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My husband is looking at being put on disability. However, we are concerned because he is self employed and we owe back taxes. How does this effect us in filing for disability?

View more questions Search