Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spmm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Can H1 file a dependent
    I'm on H1 in 2007, my brother is on F1. Can I claim him as my dependent. He is under 24. I was supporting him financially, but he was in a different state. Can I claim child tax credit.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Are you eligible to file resident tax return? Does your brother has SSN. If yes, you can claim him dependent under Qualifying Relative, if in 2007 you provided more than half of his total support and he earned less than $3,400 in 2007.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 Visa: 2007 Tax Filing Status - To file or Not to File [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H4 from 2006. Filed tax for 2006 using ITN with my spouse(H1) as Joint Return. My spouse wants to do Married filing Separately FOR 2007. My question is for 2007, 1) Do I need to file a separate return in spite of lack of income(H4) ? 2) Or do I just leave it as such and not file at...

Parent as a dependent. Do they file for tax rebate? [ 5 Answers ]

I claim my mother as my dependent on my taxes. Her only income is social security. Does she need to file a tax return to receive the tax rebate or does her rebate Come on my check since she is a dependent?

File as married & self-employed: live in NY and do biz in Florida. Where do I file? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY in the beginning of 2007. I am a freelance designer and I do business with clients in New York and Florida. I receive 1099s from my clients, both in New York and Florida, but i am not sure were do I have to file. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.

Can I file my nephew as my dependent if? [ 1 Answers ]

I live with my nephew (15yrs old) the past 3 years and support him. His mother does not work and his dad is on disability income. Can I claim him as my dependent if his dad receives disability check for him and his 15 yr old son? If I claim my nephew as my dependent on 2006 tax returns, I don't...

How do I file taxes with dependent wife and new born baby: Advise [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India and am married. My wife is on H4 dependent visa joined me in US on April 14,2006 and gave birth to our son on Jan 29,2007. It looks like I won't be able to claim benefits for my son as he was born on Jan 29, 2007 but wanted to know if there were some benefits of being pregnant...

View more questions Search