Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Treasury Secretary Paulson Says Social Security "Unsustainable"
    Why didn't we listen to G.W. Bush and put the Social Security Money in the hands of the Wall Street bankers? At least we know the government would then bail us out.
    Treasury Secretary Paulson Says Social Security "Unsustainable" - America Talks Back, News
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 04:43 AM
    At least President Bush tried to reform the system . All the Democrats did was stonewall and let the growing crisis fester .And of course they will solve Medicare insolvency by offering universal healthcare for everyone!! If I was a young worker ,knowing what I know about SS and Medicare , I would be preparing to storm the Bastille. The system is ridiculous and has been a ponzi scheme from it's inception. Heck a ponzi scheme would be preferable . At least you only get ripped off once . This is perpetual pocket picking .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Treasury Secretary Paulson Says Social Security "Unsustainable"
    Hello:

Wow! These guys are really sharp. I'm glad they're at the helm. Boy, do they make me feel better...

But... Wait a minute... He's been Treasury Secretary for about 8 years now, and THIS is all he can come up with??

Frankly, I don't think there's an 11th grader in this country that doesn't know that SS is "unsustainable".

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

Wow! These guys are really sharp. I'm glad they're at the helm. Boy, do they make me feel better....

But...... Wait a minute.... He's been Treasury Secretary for about 8 years now, and THIS is all he can come up with?????

Frankly, I don't think there's an 11th grader in this country that doesn't know that SS is "unsustainable".

excon
    Hello again excon: I know you may have been busy dodging sniper fire, also; but Mr. Paulson goes back just a short while: "President George W. Bush nominated Henry M. Paulson, Jr. to be the 74th Secretary of the Treasury on June 19, 2006. The United States Senate unanimously confirmed Paulson to the position on June 28, 2006 and he was sworn into office on July 10, 2006 by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts. As Treasury Secretary, Paulson is the President's leading policy advisor on a broad range of domestic and international economic issues."
    U.S. Treasury - Biography of Henry M. Paulson, Jr., Secretary of the Treasury

Once again, the Dems roadblocked reform of social security and medicare because the reform proposals did not include more power and authority over your life and mine; I expect you know that, but some of the other posters don't.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 06:33 AM
    John Snow was at Treasury until Paulson and before him Paul H. O'Neill
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Hello again, George:

Ok then, that explains it. He's only a ROOKIE Treasury Secretary and hasn't been trained yet. That's why he's so dumb.

excon

PS> (edited) The only people dodging sniper fire over here are those who go hunting with Cheney (I used his first name, but the software didn't like it. We should change his name to Duck anyway.)
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Hello again, George:

Ok then, that explains it. He's only a ROOKIE Treasury Secretary and hasn't been trained yet. That's why he's so dumb.

excon

PS> The only people dodging sniper fire over here are those who go hunting with .
    Lol; at least you aren't cherry- picking this time. Can't you think of some other reasons he might come up with this warning, at this time?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Can't you think of some other reasons he might come up with this warning, at this time?
    Hello again, George:

Uhhhhh, no.

You're right. Bush failed. It's a dead issue for THIS administration. That would be a reason for NOT bringing it up.

SS reform isn't on the horizon. Nobody is talking about it. McCain, a self admitted dufus on the economy, isn't even talking about SS. So he's not lobbying him. I don't know, George, maybe he's looking for a job.

Nope. I really don't know why this problem, which isn't news, is being mentioned now.

Is it true? Yes. But, it's like mentioning to the passengers aboard the Titanic, who were being loaded onto life boats, that the ship was sinking...

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Ummm because he is required to make an annual report on the subject ? It is an actuarial requirement .
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    ummm because he is required to make an annual report on the subject ? It is an actuarial requirement .
    Hello again, tom:

Ahhh, I got it. He was just doing his job - reportin.

He's not fixing... He's not leading... He's not suggesting what to do. He's just doing his job - reportin.

Sounds like the Bush admin.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 07:52 AM
    It is not his job to fix SS ;it is Congress' job to do so. The President offered a plan and it was according to the Dem obstructors DOA . Ok what is their plan ?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 08:07 AM
    It is not his job to fix SS ;it is Congress' job to do so.
    Hello again, tom:

No... A leaders job is to lead, not pass the buck and make excuses. You're right about one thing. That's how this administration has been run. There's NO accountability in the Bush White House.

Tom, the dufus in chief had BOTH houses of congress. If you can't get the job done with THAT, you ain't no leader...

Course, we know that.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Hello again, tom:

No... A leaders job is to lead, not pass the buck and make excuses. You're right about one thing. That's how this administration has been run. There's NO accountability in the Bush White House.

Tom, the dufus in chief had BOTH houses of congress. If you can't get the job done with THAT, you ain't no leader....

Course, we know that.

excon
    You can't blame Bush for the system we all live within, as you know fully well it takes 60 senate votes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 08:18 AM
    As you know the minority party has a great ability to throw a monkeywrench into anything they don't agree with . As an example ;The Republicans as you know have been able to thwart any attempt by the Democrats to defund or cut and run from Iraq. So it is not just a matter of leadership. Example . The last time Social Security was "reformed " or as I call it kick the can down the road was during Reagan's term . What you call leadership was actually capitulation . He gave Tip O'Neil everything he wanted in increased taxes . That kind of leadership will not reform the system. The system needs an overhaul that is the equivalent of scrapping it and starting over . But SS being the 3rd rail in politics means real solutions cannot be considered . The President's plan was bold so it had no chance of succeeding .
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
    But SS being the 3rd rail in politics means real solutions cannot be considered . The President's plan was bold so it had no chance of succeeding .
    Hello again, tom and George:

See, here's where you loyal Bushies go wrong. Clearly, it DOES take 60 votes in the Senate. With good leadership, and more importantly a good plan, the job could have been accomplished...

But, of course, Bush didn't start with a good plan. It would have put the burden of fixing social security on the working class, while his friends, the "have mores", drink Champaign...

Tell me, what's fair about a working man paying 8% of his income for SS, when a "have more" pays only 1% or 2% of their income?? Maybe if they had a plan that was fair, they could have gotten the job done...

But, nooooo.

Bush's solution wasn't a solution. He really kind of misses what SS is all about. Course, that's not surprising, ifin you never read a book. His plan was no plan - it was a dodge. Let the market decide if you can retire - not the government.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Um, I honestly can't remember when this wasn't news. Seems I was told there would be no SS for me when I got my first job at 16, 31 years ago. The reports have crossed the spectrum ever since and probably long before that. There is a bit of good news in this report though, under Rubin in 1998 depletion was projected in 2032, while Paulson says it will be depleted in 2041. Rubin projected the negative cash flow to begin in 2013, while Rubin projected it 10 years, 2018. But then, it is an election year and I'm sure those numbers will be very fluid on both sides.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Well for one thing it is not about fairness . It is not supposed to be a tax . It IS supposed to be an insurance . It is supposed to be a protected "investment " in your retirement ;it is NOT supposed to be part of the general revenue. It has been a fraud for all those reasons.
    No Bush got exactly what SS is about . It is supposed to guarantee a return on your investment . IN that regard it only worked for the people at the beginning of the pyramid . Just like a ponzi scheme.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 26, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Um, I honestly can't remember when this wasn't news. Seems I was told there would be no SS for me when I got my first job at 16, 31 years ago. The reports have crossed the spectrum ever since and probably long before that. There is a bit of good news in this report though, under Rubin in 1998 depletion was projected in 2032, while Paulson says it will be depleted in 2041. Rubin projected the negative cash flow to begin in 2013, while Rubin projected it 10 years, 2018. But then, it is an election year and I'm sure those numbers will be very fluid on both sides.

In 2041 Social Security will currently only by able to pay out seventy-eight percent, although many of the analyst term this as "broke." I strongly suggest, when possible, anyone not putting money into an IRA do so. There are four or five different types. With this recession if you have an a 401K account, set it to mostly conservative funds with lowers risk, although smaller gains. If a person wants they can indulge into some moderate funds, but only place perhaps forty percent at max. But absolutely no high risk adventures. I know people that indulged and lost twenty-five percent of their portfolio in the last year. It's well worth money spent for those not from a financial background to go to Barnes & Noble.com - Books, Used & Out of Print, Textbooks, Children's Books, DVDs, Music, Toys or Borders - Home and search engine the personal finances section. Suze Orman, the blond haired Jewish woman seen on TV, has many books out that cover a wide range of issues.

Also adjoined to the topic of issue, politics, both Democrat and Republican, see one advantage of giving amnesty to illegals because the fact it helps replenish our Social Security. In the following new article, link below, you'll read where the original forecast was only a seventy-five percent payback in 2041, but now have recalculated to seventy-eight percent based on legal and illegal immigration contribution.

www.kansascity.com | 03/25/2008 | A warning on Social Security, Medicare
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 11:02 AM
    I know people that indulged and lost twenty-five percent of their portfolio in the last year.
    Your advice to get into your own plan ;the sooner the better for the young is excellent advice .The money that SS will return is not sufficient ;another reason it is a scam. And it reinforces my argument that the President's plan would've encouraged such savings.

Yes the loss in the market is a short term paper loss . Your advice would be contingent of course on how many more years before retirement . If I was lclose to retirement I would've already found conservative investments to park the account in. I am still too young to take that approach although I did rebalance my plan somewhat early fall last year . I look at the current correction market as a buying opportunity .

Also adjoined to the topic of issue, politics, both Democrat and Republican, see one advantage of giving amnesty to illegals the fact it helps replenish Social Security. In the following new article, link below, you'll read where the original forecast was only a seventy-five percent payback in 2041, but now have recalculated to seventy-eight percent based on legal and illegal immigration contribution.
    I don't quite get that . There are current illegals who pay into the system that are not ever going to see their money if they are not made legal . Once given amnesty it seems there will be a greater burden on the system. But I know where an argument can be made that by increasing the number of immigrants you can fund the system until the next crisis (more kicking the can down the road. )
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 26, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Your advice to get into your own plan ;the sooner the better for the young is excellent advice .The money that SS will return is not sufficient ;another reason it is a scam. And it reinforces my argument that the President's plan would've encouraged such savings.

Part of the losses were offset by the employer contribution to the 401K. Although most financial experts place 401K investments above other options because of the touted contribution factor, personally I still take the IRA route. Corporate downsizing, lay-offs, and business stability are factors in tough economic times. As you alluded to earlier, we need to try to keep a much control over our own destined investments as possible.

the loss in the market is a short term paper loss . Your advice would be contingent of course on how many more years before retirement . If I was lclose to retirement I would've already found conservative investments to park the account in. I am still too young to take that approach although I did rebalance my plan somewhat early fall last year . I look at the current correction market as a buying opportunity .)

Yes. For anyone looking at fifteen to twenty years plus down the road toward retirement, although it still effects those retiring sooner depending on lifespan.

I don't quite get that . There are current illegals who pay into the system that are not ever going to see their money if they are not made legal . Once given amnesty it seems there will be a greater burden on the system. But I know where an argument can be made that by increasing the number of immigrants you can fund the system until the next crisis (more kicking the can down the road. )
    Correct. This would be an effort to offset the number of baby boomers retiring with contributions from the population of increaed immigrants legal and those that would be granted amnesty. In other words our government trying to buy themselves time to sort out the Social Security mess. Likewise similar to the "stimulus package" rebate checks that will be a temporary band-aid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

"The Politics of National Security" [ 18 Answers ]

Lieberman Delivers Major Address on "The Politics of National Security" Is that the change Americans voted for in 2006? The left constantly reminds us that Americans are overwhelmingly against the Iraq war, are Americans for America's defeat? I think it was DK that asked earlier, when...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

501 c.7 social club "Code of Conduct" [ 0 Answers ]

As president of a non-profit, social club with 162 members, I am seeking help in conducting a code of conduct violation hearing. Specifically, a member has maliciously slandered a fellow member's reputation causing that person to resign from the club. This is a repeated attack on this highly...

View more questions Search