Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roroku Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Foreign Tax for income in US.
    Hi,

I have a situation and I can't find anywhere in the web. I have read i1040NR, i1116, P514 and P519.

I am a Burmese citizen and working in US. I have to pay income tax to Burma Gov around 10% additional to US Fed and state taxes and trying to find if I could claim that TAX amount in 1040NR tax return.
    I would like to know I could claim as "Foreign tax credit" or itemize deduction.

I am clear that "if the tax paid is for income from foreign source" I am eligible, but there is no where said about for income from US Source.

Any help is appreciate.

Thanks in advance
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Mar 23, 2008, 05:41 PM
    I'm a little unclear on what you are asking. Do you mean that you earned income in the US? If you have US source income, you don't get to claim a foreign tax credit for any foreign tax you paid on that income.

If you earned foreign income and paid foreign tax, then you get to claim a foreign tax credit for that on your US tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign Income and Income Tax in 1040 [ 14 Answers ]

Can anybody suggest where to include Foreign Income and Income Tax in 1040 form. I am basically dual status alien but want to make "Resident for Full year" choice which necessiates to include my worldwide wages. I am married. To make this choice what suppose to provide to IRS and how to...

Tax on Foreign Earned Income - NRO [ 5 Answers ]

I am a resident alien and I have a NRO certificate of deposit in India. If I understand correctly I need to report interest income earned in India also. 30% tax is already being deducted at source by the Indian bank on the interest I earn in India. Do I have to pay taxes in US too ? Or can...

Foreign income tax credit at state level (CA)? [ 1 Answers ]

Situation: I live in a foreign country and earn income there, and I am a California resident. 1. At the federal level, there is foreign earned income exclusion OR foreign tax credit. Is there the same at the state level (CA)? Or will I have to pay state taxes on all income sources regardless of...

Foreign Income Tax under L1 Visa with no substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

I have an L1 Visa for more than 3 years, but stays in the US for less than 3 months a year. I pay US taxes on my US Income. I also trade US stocks while I am abroad. Do I have to pay Income Tax on Stock Gains, or can I claim Foreign Status. Luis

Tax on Foreign income ? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my wife will be filing as "married filing jointly" for tax year 2006 as RESIDENT ALIENS based on passing the substantial presence test. We left the US for UK in June and have lived here ever since ( I cannot claim closer connection to UK based on applications made for change of status in...

View more questions Search