Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiboNYC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Resident or non resident for NY State and Tax Purposes?
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out my filing status for New York State and City taxes.

I'm a french national under an H1-B visa that started in October 06. Last year I filed as a Part Time Resident as I had only lived in the NYC for 3 months. But what about this year? I lived in the NYC for a year but I read that as my visa was only 3 year long I could tell the NY State and City Tax Authorities that I maintened a permanent home in France (though that will be hard to prove as I don't have a house or appt in France and my parents live in the US)...

What should I do. File as Non Resident or play nice and just pay my taxes (I'd rather be in the first instance but I also want to follow the rules)...

Thank you very much for you help
    Tibo
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
    You should file as a resident. You would need to rely on the treaty to say you are not a resident. From what you have said, you would not be able to rely on the treaty. Further, the treaty can only apply for federal tax purposes and not for state tax purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H2B resident or non resident for tax purposes? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone could help me to determinate my status for tax purposes! :confused: H2b holder working in the state of Florida for 145 days, during 2007. Filled out w4 single, line 5 I claimed 1 and line 6 $16 I found that h2b holder is considered non-resident for tax purposes in...

H2B resident or non resident for tax purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

hi, i hope someone could help me to determinate my status for tax purposes! :confused: h2b holder working in the state of florida for 145 days, during 2007. filled out w4 single, line 5 i claimed 1 and line 6 $16 i found that h2b holder are considered nonresident for tax purposes in...

H4 to F1 - Resident or Non-resident for tax purposes? [ 6 Answers ]

I came to the US in 2000 on a H-4, as a dependent of my father. When I turned 21 in 2006 I switched to a F-1 visa, and after graduation I worked from Jan 2007 to Dec 2007 on OPT. Would I file as resident or non-resident for 2007? Also my employer withheld FICA. I am from Pakistan. Would I also be...

Resident for Florida Tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

I own vacation property in the U.S. and want to sell. In order to save on taxes can I become a resident without a visa or green card? Must I live there more than 179 days? WC

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search