Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dross1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Will I have to pay taxes if I receive a 1099 from my short sale?
    I am plainning to refinance my home and my mortgage company offered a "short payoff" in which I will receive a 1099 at the end of the year. Will I be required to pay taxes on this money?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 09:03 AM
    Yes - any income shown on a 1099 must be reported to the IRS. If your bank is forgiving some of your debt, they are in effect making a gift to you, and this must be reported as income.
    RICKYLANDRY Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Yes you will have to pay taxes on this forgiven debt because any income that is
    Claimed on a 1099 taxes have to be paid on it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-b to pay taxes- how do I clame? [ 3 Answers ]

My broker sold stocks in order to pay taxes on them. Now I receive a 1099-b form showing the $ amount of stocks sold. The problem is that I never received any of the funds because they were used to pay taxes on the stock. How do I clame my 1099-b? Am I double paying taxes on my stocks?

Can F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form? [ 9 Answers ]

Please advise can an F-1 Student receive a 1099 Misc Form and file taxes?

H1B receive both W2 and 1099 [ 14 Answers ]

I got H1B in 2004. In 2005 I helped one professor with a project. At that time I didn't know it is not legal to work for someone who is not your H1B sponsor. In 2006 I received both W2 from my current employer and 1099 from the professor. The amount he paid me (about $10,000) was listed in #7...

Pay My Taxes 1099! Easy! [ 3 Answers ]

Is What is written in Box 7 (... $) the amount I have to pay for taxes ? Or do I need to figure the amount out on my own ? ( I am on a R1 Visa and live in France) Thank you SO MUCH! Jo

Can a 1099 receive Vacation Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

If an employee moves from a W2 to 1099, Are they entitled to cash out on their remaining vacation benefits?

View more questions Search