Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firstresponse5952 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Can father prevent child from leaving state if he has no legal custody?
    My wife and I live in Oregon and want to take a trip to PA for a wedding and want to take my stepson also. My wife has sole custody of him but the father is telling her that she cannot take him without his permission and that the answer is no. She will not go without her son. Can he legally do this or can we just go anyway?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 01:03 PM
    I think a lawyer needs to resolve this one. But in my mind if you were taking my child out of state without permission I would considered it kidnapping. You do not have custody, therefore you are at your X's mercy.
    firstresponse5952 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn
    I think a lawyer needs to resolve this one. But in my mind if you were taking my child out of state without permission I would considered it kidnapping. You do not have custody, therefore you are at your X's mercy.
    Yes I may not have custody but she does and she would be taking him. And is it considered kidnapping really if she is the custodial parent?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firstresponse5952
    My wife has sole custody of him but the father is telling her that she cannot take him without his permission and that the answer is no... Can he legally do this or can we just go anyways?
    Your wife has 'sole custody' by virtue of some kind of documentation, separation agreement or divorce decree. Do you have access to it? Have you read it? That will give you the answer you need.
    JE82304 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 06:14 AM
    It depends on the child visitation order. I don't have legal custody of my children, but have visitation rights. In my order neither parent is allowed to take the child out of the state without permission. I live in Washington State. Depending on the order if you did take the child out of state without permission Its up to the judge on weather or not you would be help in contempt for violating a court order. If you continue to violate the order it is possible for the judge to take custody away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

What are the custody laws for leaving state with my son [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Im currently living with the father of my 8month old son and he's always had anger issues but recently he has turned physically violent against me. I told him that I wanted to go back to school but the only way I can afford to do that was to move from Minnesota to reno, nv (where my...

How do I stop my child's mother from leaving the state with my child? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters mother wants to move to Ohio with my child, leaving me, my parents and girlfriend behind who are greatly involved in my child's life. What can I do to stop her. She is the castodial parent.

Leaving the state with unborn child [ 4 Answers ]

My friend wants to leave the state and move back to her hometown. She is pregnant and no longer with the father. She has told him that she is planning to move back home. He has not shown any bit of interest in the pregnancy until now. He has told her that she can't leave and that he already has...

View more questions Search