Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Syracuse_TaxPayer Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
    L1 visa filing Taxes for year 2007
    My US L1 visa issued on 25th Jan 2007 and came in USA on 26th Jan 2007 first time and my wife on L2 visa came in 5th April 2007 first time. And in US since then.

I earned Jan 2007 Salary in India and paid taxes for Jan 2007 in India and earned some medical expense bills,
    Exgratia, some miner amount in Indian account by Indian company thereafter in Feb, April 2007.

All my moving expenses was paid by my company but I paid my wife's air fare from India to USA from my Indian Bank a/c.

My wife don't have ITIN number.

So I have following questions

1) Am I and my wife, resident alien or non-resident alien?

2) Which form I need to file for 2007 US Tax returns?

3) What documents and statements I need for Tax return and W7 and Resident for full year declaration.

4) In total how many and which forms I need to fill in along with what documents?

5) What is first year choice. Do I need to select the same and if yes what documents I need to provide to IRS.

6) What documents I need to provide for Air Fare I paid from my Indian document for my wife's relocation?

7) In w7 which option [a-h] I have to select for my spouse in column
    "Reason you are submitting Form W-7".
    Should I go for opton "c" as we both have passed resident alien - substential present test.

8) Is there any statement I need to fill with my W7 or 1040EZ form for resident status.

Please help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 01:27 PM
    1) You are technically dual-status, but, under First Year Choice, you can file jointly and CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2007. That is my recommendation.

2) Form 1040 with Form 3903 (for the moving expense of the airline ticket).

3 -5) W-2s, a notarized photocopy of your wife's passport sapled to the W-7, a statement that you and your wife CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2007, and, of course, the tax forms noted above.

6) No receipts are needed unless the IRS questions the expense, which is unlikely.

7) Choose "spuse of resident alien" choice.

8) First Year Choice statement, noted above.

It MIGHT be best if you get professional help, given your uncertainty on this issue. Email me at the address below for a fee quote.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint Return filing for year - 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am staying with my wife and kid from March'2007 till Oct'2007 end. My wife and kid will be going back to India and will never come back to US again. I have some question about return filling for year 2007, which I will be doing some where in Feb'2008. - Do I will be filling jointly...

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

H1B and H4 -- Filing status for year 2007 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I (H1B) am here in the US since 25th Nov 2006 along with my wife (H4). I already file tax return for year 2006 ( filled jointly along with W7 application for my wife to get the TIN for her). Now I am interested in knowing my filing status for year 2007. Filing status mentioned as on my...

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

View more questions Search