Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pearcejohnston Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 04:06 AM
    E3 visa - tax exempt?
    Hi

I have just filed my federal and state tax returns for 2007.

I worked in PA from Feb-Sep 2007 under the E3 visa.

Can I get a refund on the Social Security or Medicare tax?

Thanks in advance!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Negative. The "E" series visa is a work visa for persons from Australia and (I believe) New Zealand.

Since it is a work visa, you MUST pay the Social Security or Medicare tax.

However, under the totalization agreement between the U.S. and Australia, the Social Security or Medicare tax will be credited against your similar account in Australia.
    pearcejohnston Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Thank you so much for your quick answer AtlantaTaxExpert!

Is there a website I can visit to transfer those taxes to Australia?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Negative on the website. Just make sure that the Social Security Administration is aware of your status as an Austalian citizen. A phone call to the SSA should suffice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa, tax exempt? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a research scholar working in the US on J1 visa. I am from India. Am I required to pay income tax, etc. I am new here, and not sure whether one is exempt from taxes on J1 visa. I do not know about the tax treaty between India-US for research scholar on J1 visa. Could you please...

Can my employer be exempt from the H1B visa cap as an educational institution? [ 3 Answers ]

My potential employer is a company that offers instruction and translation services in foreign languages. They set up classes for people who want to learn foreign languages and get teachers who specialize in/have native knowledge of that language to teach the class. They want to hire me as an...

TAX Exempt for OPT/H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in New York from November of 2005 with OPT visa (F-1) and got H-1 visa in October, 2006. I was told I should file tax as a non-resident for 2006 but I'm wondering if I can still claim exempt as a student for the time I worked as a OPT holder. (I did not claim it for 2005) And...

J-1 visa exempt of SS and Medicare taxes (Work and Travel program) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was present in us for 150 days in 2005 on a J-1visa. I participate in Work and Travel program. Surprisingly for me, my employer deducts SS and Medicare taxes from my salary. I talked to him about that and he said that IRS would fix the mistake in the end of the year. I filled...

View more questions Search