Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2008, 01:31 PM
    True, the attorney's fees (generally 1/3) would come off the top. So figure that still leaves $500K. Under the rule of 72, that amount would double every 7.2 years given a 10% return. Which means in 14 years it would still be close to $2 million
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    True, the attorney's fees (generally 1/3) would come off the top. So figure that still leaves $500K. Under the rule of 72, that amount would double every 7.2 years given a 10% return. Which means in 14 years it would still be close to $2 million

This is a child and in most jurisdictions the Court MUST approve the settlement - in NYS (at least) the Court usually bargains the Attorney down "for the good of the child," retainer agreement notwithstanding.

Someone posted that on trial the fee can be as high as 50% - what State is that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother hyphenationg child's last name with stepfather's name [ 8 Answers ]

I recently found out that the mother of my daughter (we were never married) has been hyphenating my daughter's last name to include her new husband's. Even though we were never married, my daughter was giving my last name. I see her several times a week, talk to her several times a week, I have...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

How do I stop my child's mother from leaving the state with my child? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters mother wants to move to Ohio with my child, leaving me, my parents and girlfriend behind who are greatly involved in my child's life. What can I do to stop her. She is the castodial parent.

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

Can my boyfriend be my child's father [ 1 Answers ]

I receive temporary assistance and food stamps from the state. When I went to visit my social worker she made me fill out a paper issuing for the collection of child support for the alleged father of my child. I filled it out to the best of my ability. Honestly, I may know exactly who my child's...

View more questions Search