Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksnvas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for?
    I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based company. OR Is it NH because I live in NH. OR Is it MA because My employer gets paid from MA based source for the work I performed?
    Thanks a lot for your expert advice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2005, 02:32 PM
    Ksnvas:

Where the company is based is irrelevant. The key issues is where you work and where you live. For this reason, no Virginia income taxes should be withheld.

For sure you need to have Massachusetts income tax withheld, because Massachusetts expects to be paid taxes for income earned within its state borders, and they offer no credit for other taxes paid on that Massachusetts-based income.

New Hampshire will also want to tax this money, but will offer at least a partial credit for income taxes paid to Massachusetts. Since Massachusetts is a high-tax state (I believe up to 11%), it is likely that the NH credit offered for Massachusetts income taxes paid will completely offset the NH income tax liability.

You will need to file at least Massachusetts and New Hampshire state income tax returns. If your company mistakenly withheld Virginia taxes, you will also need to file a Virginia state income tax return to get your withheld taxes back. When you file these multiple state returns, be sure to attach copies of the other states' returns to avoid complications.

The complexity of this issue suggests that you should probably get a tax professional to help you. I am available if you do not mind working via e-mail/fax/phone/USPS. You will find my rates very competitive with the local preparers, and I have references from clients who have found me via the Internet (like you), used my services and whom I have never met in person. If you are interested, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about taxes withheld [ 1 Answers ]

I claim 0, 0 and live in Kentucky. Can you please tell me the percentage of taxes taken out?

Resident alien with no FICA withheld during CPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi expert, I am preparing my 2005 tax return but could not figure out how to do with FICA.:confused: I did an internship last summer using CPT because I am a full-time international student and didn't inform my employer that time that I will claim myself as a resident alien because I was not...

H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have...

Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?

Non-resident: refund of taxes withheld on W2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm here becaues I'm in need for help about my tax return for 2004 since I find myself in a strange situation. I'm an Italian living in Italy but I've been working during all of 2004 for a US company (telecommuting from Italy) that now issued me a W2 with all the wages that I earned...

View more questions Search