Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suspet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 12:49 PM
    H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes
    I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have gotten a lot less in salary.

I look forward to your response - thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 31, 2005, 02:48 PM
    Suspet:

If you know for fact that your employer is not paying the income taxes that are being withheld, be sure to keep track of the withholding by retaining your check stubs.

Your employer has a legal obligation to provide you with a W-2 for tax year 2005 bu the end of January 2006 so you can file your tax return. If he fails to do so, you can file your return using your last check stub from 2005 to show how much in taxes was withheld. The IRS will then query your employer as to why the withheld taxes were not paid as required by law. The responsibility to pay these taxes rests with the employer, not you!

The check stubs are your proof that the taxes were withheld. That will satisfy the IRS and/or the INS in regards to the requirements for your visa.
    Suspet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 03:27 PM
    Thank You
    Thank you very much.

I suspected that it was the employers responsibility as it is where we come from, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 1, 2005, 03:40 PM
    Not a problem. Better to be safe than sorry!

ATE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B paying taxes on W2 and 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B status, i.e. I am being paid by my Employer for which I will be paying taxes on W2 Form. I got an opportunity to earn money legally for my services using 1099 form. Am I allowed to pay taxes for the earned income using both W2, 1099 being on H1 B status? I apreciate your...

Question about taxes withheld [ 1 Answers ]

I claim 0, 0 and live in Kentucky. Can you please tell me the percentage of taxes taken out?

Paying taxes on inherited annuity [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I were beneficiary of an annuity. I understand we pay taxes on the taxable amount listed in box 2a of the 1099. My question is... do I treat this as income adding it to myearned income and possibly raising my tax bracket, or do I pay taxes based on the earned income bracket? ...

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

Non-resident: refund of taxes withheld on W2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm here becaues I'm in need for help about my tax return for 2004 since I find myself in a strange situation. I'm an Italian living in Italy but I've been working during all of 2004 for a US company (telecommuting from Italy) that now issued me a W2 with all the wages that I earned...

View more questions Search