Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teenqueen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Retail Store Legal Fees
    So I just turned 18 last month and today I decided to do something stupid and well something I thought I wouldn't get caught for. I went to h&M (toronto) and I was caught stealing 10 dollar earings from h&m by a secret shopper. I was taken in the office of the store and I was questioned but the secret shopper was cool and well we were calm about everything (due to what little I stole) and then she read me my rights but I was only arrested fomr the store perspective. A police man came and tookd down my information and did a background check on me I have one caution card which was loitering in public property 2 years ago which I was never aware was in my record and he gave me a warning for this shoplifting I did. The lady gave me a paper that says h&m will charge me for things such as, investigation cost, the thing I tried to steal , etc.

It took about 20-30 minutes the whole thing and they let me off with a warning but I was wondering does the thing I stole have an effect on how much h&M WOULD CHARGE me and does anyone know how much it is usually?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Hello teen:

Nope. But, they'll probably charge you $100's anyway. Mark my words.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Canada has case law that allows stores to impose a fine of several hundred in cases like these, as a deterrant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal fees for custody [ 6 Answers ]

We are considering taking on legal custody of 15 yr. old who's parents don't want him. He is my sister's son and therefore we are aunt and uncle. We feel that the biological parents should be responsible for the legal fees involved with the custody process. Is it reasonable to expect this and is it...

Fried at the Retail store [ 4 Answers ]

I just finished reading six horror stories on a scam reporting website and was shocked that so many people would have gone through having fry's workers hang up on them and give such poor service: Have you had anything happen to you at this store? In 2002, my best friend purchased a 52 inch RCA...

Retail store [ 2 Answers ]

Do you sell your products to retail stores?

Being Evicted For Legal Fees [ 3 Answers ]

I was late on my rent 12 days and the landlord sent it to their attorneys. They told me I'd have to pay legal charges. I went in the night before I got paid to get the exact amount owed, because they would only take a money order in payment. They said a specific amount, which included $75...

Retail Store Basement Electrical Plan [ 5 Answers ]

I have a couple questions regarding an electrical plan for the basement below a retail store for it to meet NEC 2005. The 2 stairways are over 6 steps each and go upstairs to the retail space, not to the exterior of the building. 1. Are there any rules pertaining to location of recepatcles for...

View more questions Search