Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myTaxQuestion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Withholding tax for a resident of a different state
    Dear Tax Consultants,

I live in Arlington, VA and I am about to employ a part time babysitter in my house. The babysitter lives and attends school in Washington, DC.

My questions are:

1) what do I need to do to establish myself as an Employer?
    2) as an Employer which state tax do I need to withhold from the babysitter's paycheck: Virginia's or DC's?

Thank you for your help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
    1) You can handle all the employer requirements by filng Schedule H with your tax return.

2) As for the state returns, if the babysitter's level of pay is high enough, you will need to withhold taxes for VA. Washington DC will give a credit for the VA taxes the babysitter pays, and that credit will probably completely offset any Washington DC tax owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nj resident paying NY State tax [ 1 Answers ]

I am a NJ resident who works in NY City. I received a payout from my mother's 401k after she passed away. I list that on my federal income when filling out my NY State Tax return. When Ny State calcluates my taxes they are taxing me on more income than I made from my job in NYC, it seems that...

Non Resident State Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in PA, but my company is in MA and deducts state taxes for MA. My W2 shows MA. Now I understand that I will be filing as a non resident of MA, but what about PA? Do I still file for PA taxes as I have been a full year resident here? My employer states that I can either file a PA state...

Tax withholding from a non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Dear all, I was a G-4 visa holder from 1991 till Feb 2000 and left the USA in Feb 2000. I hold the 401(K) account in the USA but could not withdraw money or close the account then since I was only 56 then. When I want to close the account now (I am 62 now) the administrator says that...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Tax Return NY State J1 to H1B. Resident or not? [ 1 Answers ]

In 2005 I worked for the same company. As an intern (J1) from January 1st 2005 to June the 15th As an Employee (H1B) from November 6th to December 31st 2005 I was back in France between September 9th to November 6th to get my H1B Visa. Should I file my tax as a resident or an Non...

View more questions Search