Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fitmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Ira early w/d
    I am 47 and disabled d/t an occupational injury. I my lawsuit is still pending, and I have no money coming in... I am applying for SSD, but my lawyer says it will take a while, as I am young. Can I take money out of my IRA? And what are the penalties? Do I have to pay it back? This is for financial hardship, if that matters.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 09:28 AM
    If you are disabled, you can withdraw money from your IRA with NO Early Withdrawal Penalty.

However, the distribution WILL be subject to federal and state income taxes.

You may have to provide proof of the disability when you file the tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRA early partial distribution [ 13 Answers ]

Here is my scenario: I left my previous employer earlier this year and rolled over my 401K and pension into an IRA within the 60 day requirement. I had to take a partial distribution from the IRA for personal reasons. Can I put the money distributed to me back into my IRA within 60 days...

Early withdrawal from IRA for medical expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is an early withdrawal from an IRA to pay uninsured medical expense, subject to the 10% penalty?

Needed ira early tax penalty must be paid from ira too [ 2 Answers ]

:( Unfortunately My Retirement Was Placed In An Ira. Thought I Would Work Longer. Unemployed Only Money Is My Ira I Have Been Using It Now For Three Years To Live On And I'm Currently 58. Each Year I Owe Taxes On The Previous Year And Penalties, But My Only Money Is The Ira So I Must Take...

IRA Early Withdrawal Timing for Penalty and Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I make an early withdrawal from my IRA, I know I will pay a 10% penalty and taxes on the money. WHEN do I pay these? Immediately? Immediately for the penalty and next April 15th for the taxes, or next April 15 for both? Thanks in advance. :confused:

Early retirement from a IRA [ 2 Answers ]

How much taxes do I need to pay on my early retirement plan (IRA) 14,300.00. I live in California.

View more questions Search