Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxGirl80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 06:22 PM
    F-1 Visa - working - ITIN - Should file taxes?
    A friend of mine from South Korea just started working full-time in the U.S. The employer told him that he will get a 1099 at the end of the year. He is on F-1 visa - without a social security number. He is not authorized to work in the U.S.

My understanding is that you cannot issue a 1099 to the IRS without a TIN.

Do you guys recommend that he files for an ITIN, supply it to the company he is working with, and file his taxes? Plus, I am aware that ITIN is only for federal income tax purposes. What happens on the state side?

Would this affect his visa status since he has violated the immigration codes? I guess that would be a legal question...

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 09:51 AM
    TaxGirl:

You are correct; the last part IS a legal question best posted in the LAW Forum.

That said, most people who receive an F-1 visa can apply for a SSN because they eventually will work on with an OPT or CPT work assignment for which they are paid to work in a field related to their studies. Ask the friend if he can apply for a SSN, or if he already has one.

He CAN apply for an ITIN using Form W-7 when it comes time to file his tax return, and that is normally the ONLY time he can apply.

The ITIN can also be used on the state income tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No ITIN for H4 spouse, how to file state taxes? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have been working in California for entire 2006. During October 2006 I changed my status from F1 (OPT) to H1B. I got married in December outside US and returned to US along with my wife (H4 visa) in 3rd week of December. 1. As per information on IRS web site and other sources...

I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get...

Helping to file taxes for OPT visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am assisting my girlfriend with filing her first tax return, and she is currently in this country on a OPT (f1) visa. Her income is greater than the $3300 deduction limit, however we have both heard that OPT visa-holders are exempt from Soc. Sec. taxes and Medicare taxes. Are both of these true?...

How to File Income Taxes When Converting from F-1 to H-1 Visa Status (AtlantaTaxExp) [ 63 Answers ]

To All Who Have Read My Postings On This Issue: After further consultation with NATP, I am making some additional editing changes, which will be in bold red. I have also been referred to a website maintained by a CPA with extensive credentials and experience doing returns for resident and...

Taxes for a J1 visa living in NY and working in NJ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am a Non resident alien under J1 visa and French permanent resident. It is my first tax return in the US. I live in NY and have worked both in NY (5% of time) and in NJ. So I filled up the forms 1040NR for the federal return, 8833 for the French-US exemption but also IT-203 , IT-203 ATT for...

View more questions Search