Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dixu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 03:10 PM
    Back-owed FICA for 3 years?
    My husband came to the States in 1999, and got on employer-sponsored H1-B during 2002. FICA was never withheld by his company before or after his H1-B. We never worried about it because we thought it was because he was here less than 5 years and therefore a non-resident.

He has just received word from the company that during a recent audit it was determined that he was wrongly classified as being exempt from FICA, and they are starting to collect back-owed FICA for 2005 immediately, and are evaluating the years before 2005.

We did some research ourselves after this, and it seems correct that he should be paying FICA since his H1-B, i.e. 2002. But we are not sure that his employer is entitled to collect the back-owed FICA before 2005. We are very worried, as it is obviously a large sum. Please help!
    dixu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Sorry, I missed a previous post which answered my question!
    I appologize for missing the post by chris_ns posted a couple weeks ago, who had the same question, and you answered to quite completely.

If I understand correctly, my husband's employer can only collect 2005 FICA taxes from him. This is an enormous relief.

Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 18, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Dixu:

You are correct. My understanding of the tax law is that the employer can only collect back taxes for 2005.

It is too late for 2004 and earlier.
    chris_ns Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Have you cleared this up?/
    Hi,

I am still fighting about this SSN and Medicare issue with my employer. Has anyone actually have case law or examples to substantiate this position?

Thanks again!
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 26, 2005, 03:20 PM
    Chris_ns:

I cannot cite case law. However, a phone call to the IRS will probably give you a definitive answer regarding this matter. They will cite case law.

Oct 26, 2005, 03:36 PM
    Follow up
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I have tried repeated calls to the IRS and get caught in the perpetual 'I don't know but I can transfer you funnel'. Starting to work with a lawyer now. Hopefully I can report back positive news!

Chris
    nyquist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 09:29 AM
    Same case from Colorado
    Hi, Chris

I have exactly same case that you have.

My company already suspended my paycheck for this month and
    Asking me to pay last 3 years of FICA tax which they forgot
    To put me in and withhold social tax for last 5 years.

I was wondering how you have figured out this problem so far
    Because I also look for a laywer and all of them I contacted
    Could not even understand this case to consider to go or not.

I am not saying I am not going to pay the money
    But I was wondering what would be the best resolution
    That I can go with the company rather than having
    These awful burdens thanks to the company's stupid CPA.
    ( Probably the cheapest one they could get )

Thank you,

-- Sunkyu

Dec 28, 2005, 10:09 AM
    No resolution
    Hello,

Sorry I can't be helpful - I am still fighting my employer internally on this and I have had the same result when trying to get a lawyer to take the case.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 28, 2005, 09:24 PM
    All Concerned:

Consult a tax attorney on these issues. They are the ones with the specialized tax training.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA 5 years tenure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been in USA since Dec '01. After my graduation in May '06, I started working on OPT. My company is deducting the FICA taxes, but I think it should not be deducted since my 5 years tax-free tenure in USA is not over yet until Dec '06. Please advice... Thanks

How much do donations affect amount owed or refunded [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone tell me just how much a tax deductible donation affects the amount you will owe or be refunded on annual returns? We had to pay around $3,000 last year. I would rather donate that, or at least a large portion of that, to my child's school or other organization. If we donate, how...

Taxes owed on company based outside NY, office in NY [ 1 Answers ]

My employer is based out of Phoenix, at least their W2 states this, and my office is in New York City. Last year I moved to NJ and the payroll department started withholding NJ taxes. I work virtually but several times a month would go into the office in NYC. A few questions: 1) Is my income...

Can I claim back FICA taxes paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working with an H-1B visa. I'm going back home in April 2006 and I am not intend to come back to the US to work. Can I claim back the Social Security and Medicare taxes I've paid?

View more questions Search