Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ztgtt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
    Can married F1 students contribute to ROTH IRA?
    Hi, I am an international student in US. I am filing the 1040NR-EZ form currently and accordign to the instructions for alien students, my filing status is "single" although I have been married for four years. I wonder whether I can contribute to ROTH IRA before I become a resident alien. My concern is, in the publication, it says:

Married filing separately (if the couple lived together for any part of the year): $0 (to qualify for a full contribution); $0-$10,000 (to be eligible for a partial contribution).

My AGI is over 10000 now. Can I still contribute to ROTH IRA?

Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 20, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Yes, you CAN contribute to the ROTH IRA.

For purposes of contributing to the ROTH IRA, you are considered SINGLE.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Jul 20, 2007, 02:50 PM
    IF you're married filing separately the Roth is basically not an option.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2007, 10:45 AM
    I will bow to TTE's greater expertise on this matter regarding the filing status.

However, if you are converting to H-1 or H-1B this year, you CAN file jointly with your wife and boht choose to be treated as resident resident aliens. This makes the ROTH IRA a possible option for 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I/how to convert IRA-BDA to a Roth IRA [ 0 Answers ]

A few years ago I inherited an IRA. It's now referred to as an IRA-BDA. It is all one mutual fund. As it stands now, when I withdraw from it I have the option of taking out 10-15% taxes on the amount withdrawn, or waiting until tax time to pay it. 1.Would it be more beneficial to change my...

ROTH IRA Beneficiary [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in US on L1-B Visa form India. My spouse and kids are in India, They will come for a short trip of 2 months on L2 visa and go back to India. 1. When I want to open a Roth IRA a/c, I am unable to list my spouse as beneficiary sine she does not have SSN, She will not be eligible...

Can I contribute Roth IRA as married F-1? [ 4 Answers ]

I enter US in Dec 2001 as a F-1 student. My F-1 status keeps unchanged till now and I married to a resident alien in 2004. We filed federal tax jointly for 2004 & 2005. I choosed to be treated as resident alien in federal tax. I contributed $4000 in my individual account for 2005 Roth IRA. I heard...

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

Roth Ira Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to open a Roth IRA 6 Month CD account. After the CD matures, how do I move the funds to another Bank if the rates are better elsewhere without triggering a taxable/penalty event? Thank you , Rich

View more questions Search