Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xstatix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 05:11 AM
    Confused F1visa student trying to file taxes for last year of income in US.
    Hey Everyone..

I'm in a situation that seems fairly straightforward however no one seems to know the correct answer.

Background --- In Aug 2003, I arrived for the first time in the US on an F-1 visa. After graduating in May 2007, I earned income from US sources until July 2008. In August 2008, I completed my final year on Optional Practical Training. On August 20th 2008, I flew home to the Philippines for good.

Federal - Prior to 2008, I always filed 1040NR-EZ with the help of Cintax. This year however, they have informed me that I will be considered a resident alien for tax purposes despite my F-1 visa status. I was told that as an F1, I only get 5 years exempt which are as follows:

2003 F1 Student - Exempt Year #1
    2004 F1 Student - Exempt Year #2
    2005 F1 Student - Exempt Year #3
    2006 F1 Student - Exempt Year #4
    2007 F1 Student - Exempt Year #5

I just wanted to clarify that this is accurate. In '03, I was only in the US for roughly 115 days. Does this count towards a full year?

State - My school, work and apartment all this time was in New York City. For the year 2008, I'm having difficulty determining whether I'm a resident or non-resident. In 2008 I maintained a residence in New York from Jan 1 '08 - Aug 20 '08. (230 days). I pass the substantial presence test which puts the cap at 184 days. However, I moved out of the country so some may say that makes me a part-year resident. I was also instructed to file IT-360.1 - Change of City Residence Status.

Is it possible to be a Resident for Federal and Part year resident for State?

I just need someone to clarify what has been told to me. Since I am home in the Philippines now, I have been very distant from any resource/person in NY that may be able to answer my questions.

Thanks very much for all your insight.
    -Jules
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 05:17 AM

For 2008, for federal tax return, you are resident.
    You are also resident of NY.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 03:09 PM
    It is likely that filing as a resident for 2008 resulted in a smaller tax bill or larger refund, and filing as a resident was the correct way to file!

That said, you had the option of filing as a non-resident alien by submitting proof with Form 8843 that you maintained a "closer connection" with your home country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should we claim our college student on our income taxes [ 10 Answers ]

Is it more beneficial for us to claim our son who is a college student or should he claim himself when he files his taxes?

Taxes on Investment income while on F1.student visa- OPT [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question and I thought you might be able to help.- I have been in the US since I was 13( in 1995). Now I am 26. I have been on F1 visa since 2003. (on different visas before that) I am currently working on OPT (in F1 status) for 1 year. My question is concerning taxation on income from...

Full time student, single mother, no income, do I file? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a single mom with no income. I am a full time college student though with grants and loans. Do I still file to claim my daughter and school expenses? Thanks for you help! Amanda :)

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Zero income Married student.File or not? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a married full-time college student who earned zero income in 2005. Do I need to file? (State and/or Federal) Are there any benefits to filing? Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search