Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abhijitsen_2000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Married Filing Jointly but spouse doesn't have SSN , She has ITIN
    Hi ,
    Am trying to file my 2007 tax returns online through Turbo tax and I intend to efile. Now am filing as " Married Filing Jointly". Since my wife is on an H4 Dependent visa, she can't get a SSN . She has her ITIN though.
    Now the site doesn't allow me to file my taxes without her SSN.
    Please can someone guide me as to how do I file my taxes in this status and using my spouse's ITIN.

Thanks,
    Abhijit
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
    How did you file your 2006 tax return?
    abhijitsen_2000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 11:44 AM
    In 2006, I had filed through IBSN and they had taken care of the same. This time am trying to file it myself via Turbo Tax and am facing a problem as there is no place to enter the ITIN.

Could you also let me know whether I would be eligible for the Stimulus package.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Sounds like a problem with the TurboTax site. Perhaps you can see if their customer service has an answer for you? And of course you can always file a paper return.

As for the stimulus payment - you are not eligible, sorry. The following is quoted from
    Stimulus Payments: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I file using an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Can I still get a stimulus payment?

A: No. The law does not allow stimulus payments to people who file a return using an ITIN. A taxpayer must have a valid Social Security Number to qualify for the stimulus payment. If married filing jointly, both taxpayers must have a valid Social Security Number. And children must have valid Social Security Numbers to be eligible as qualifying children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Stimulus Payments for Married filing Jointly (one with SSN and other with ITIN) [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks all for you help regarding to Federal and State taxes. I have an SSN, but my spouse has a ITIN. Can we both get a payment Stimulated Tax Payment? If not then am I eligible to get Stimulus Payments. We already filed a taxes as married filing jointly. Regards.

Married filing jointly for 2006 spouse arrived on Jan 2007 no itin 2 state filings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm on H1 since Nov05. In 2006, I had 2 life events: Marriage & Moving I have the following questions: 1. I got married in Dec2006. My spouse arrived in Jan07 & is a homemaker after marriage. Do I file as Married filing jointly or Married filing separately? 2. I have 2 State...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search