Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drnr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 07:26 PM
    ITIN rejected for dependent
    Hi,

I am staying in the US on J-1 visa since 2005 onwards, so I assume am a resident alien for the tax purposes.

Last year, 2007 my son joined with me and he was dependent for at least 9 months. He came to the US on J-2 visa status. So, I had applied for ITIN for my son and along with 2007 tax returns. In W-7 form, I had checked box d it says “Dependent of US citizen/resident alien” and in Line 3 filled foreign address as my Indian address and sent to Austin, Texas.

After few weeks got a letter from IRS saying "we rejected your application based on information you provided on W-7, Line 3, Applicant foreign address, indicates that you, a spouse or dependent claimed on a tax return by a primary taxpayer, are a resident of India, and have been granted an F-2, or J-2 or M-2 visa by the USCIS; and therefore, do not qualify for an ITIN".

Could anyone suggest me what to do in this situation, I will greatly appreciate your help.

Raghunath
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 11:52 PM
    In case of a child, many times IRS issues ITIN and at times rejects ITIN.
    You should click AtlantaTaxExpert and ask him to suggest what you should do now. He is well experienced in such situations.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Raghunath:

Unfortunately, this happens all too often.

The person processing the ITIN application interprets the W-7 at face value and fails to consider all possibilities and then refuses to make a simple phone call to get all the facts straight.

You probably will need to submit Form 1040X with a fresh Form W-7.

This time, leave the Foreign Address portion blank (which should make it clear that your dependent is located IN the U.S.) and attach a cover letter stating the fact that you are in the THIRD year of your J-1 visa and are considered a resident alien for tax purposes for 2007. Also, provide a copy of YOUR visa to show the date of entry in the U.S.

With the clarification provided by the cover letter, they should then issue the ITIN to your son.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 05:49 PM
    In the cases where someone files W7 of the child with the resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly, the ITIN is mostly approved.

Apr 29, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will follow those steps and hope I will get it this time.

Raghunath

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Raghunath:

Unfortunately, this happens all too often.

The person processing the ITIN application interprets the W-7 at face value and fails to consider all possibilities and then refuses to make a simple phone call to get all the facts straight.

You probably will need to submit Form 1040X with a fresh Form W-7.

This time, leave the Foreign Address portion blank (which should make it clear that your dependent is located IN the U.S.) and attach a cover letter stating the fact that you are in the THIRD year of your J-1 visa and are considered a resident alien for tax purposes for 2007. Also, provide a copy of YOUR visa to show the date of entry in the U.S.

With the clarification provided by the cover letter, they should then issue the ITIN to your son.

Apr 29, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for both atlanta tax expert and MukatA for your quick answers.

Raghunath

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    In the cases where someone files W7 of the child with the resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly, the ITIN is mostly approved.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Glad to help!
    mejiajose21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
    What if you are an illegal alien in the US with an ITIN and you want to apply for an ITIN for your 2 underage illegal dependents. Does the information (immunization card and school report card) have to be from the foreign country they came from or from the US? Also does the foreign address on the W-7 have to be left blank and fill in? The two dependents only have about 2 years in the country.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
    If you can provide the identification documents required by the W-7 instructions, the ITIN requests should be authorized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tourist Visa ITIN/Dependent [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I am a resident alien living in US from the past 7 years. Filing Status: married & filing jointly with one kid. My Mother-in-law (from India) came to US on tourist visa (B2) in 2006 and lived with us for 7 months (210 days). She is not a US Citizen and as such does not have an SSN. She is...

Do I need to apply for ITIN for dependent ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am having L1B visa and my spouse and kids are on L2 visa. I am having my SSN. I work in NY and stay in NJ. Do I need to get ITIN for spouse and Kid for federal and state Tax both ? If Yes, When can I apply for ITIN for dependent?I will really appreciate, If any one can brief me about...

ITIN for L2 dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have couple of question on Dependent filling, please help me in understanding. 1. I came to US on March'07. My spouse and kid joined me on May'07. My wife & kid will be staying for 6 month and then leaving back to India. Can I change my W4 status to Married and get the tax benefits on...

ITIN for my Dependent Wife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US for the first time on Auguest 28th 2006. I am on L1 visa and I have my wife and Child along with me. For IRS tax filing for 2006 , what is my status --Resideint Alien or Non Resident Alien ? Do we (me and wife) need to file Jointly? If yes while filing online , its...

View more questions Search