Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    croissant123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Which forms should my friend fill out for tax year 2005?
    TaxExpert,
    We are in NYC. My friend worked under OPT for about 6 months in 2005 and then under H1B status.
    Other than 1040 and New York State income tax return, which form should she file?

Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Croissant123:

Assuming she opts to file as a resident alien, Form 1040 is probably the way to go, because her NY state and NYC income taxes will probably be more than the $5,000 standard deduction. If so, she should file Schedule A with the Form 1040 in order to itemize.

What was her annual salary for 2005?

Feb 2, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Croissant123:

Assuming she opts to file as a resident alien, Form 1040 is probably the way to go, because her NY state and NYC income taxes will probably be more than the $5,000 standard deduction. If so, she should file Schedule A with the Form 1040 in order to itemize.

What was her annual salary for 2005??
    (1) Her annual income for 2005 is about $35K so that the income tax won't exceed $5000.
    I would like to know whether it's necessary for her to file 1040 along with 1040NR as statement since she was non-resident alien under OPT. And will she get any additional deduction by filing as dual-status?
    (2) She changed jobs 3 times during year 2005 and got 3 W-2 forms. What she needs to do is add all the incomes and file one tax return to IRS and NYS/NYC Tax department. Am I correct?

Thank you very much!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Croissant:

If she files as a resident alien, she gets the $5,000 standard deduction. She can file as a resident alien under the First Year Choice, especially if she was under the H-1B visa for at least 183 days in 2005.

If she files as a dual-status alien, she gets NO standard deduction. The choice is obvious!

Yes, she should add up all three W-2s and file one tax return with the IRS and NY state.

Feb 3, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,
    Thank you for your advice, it's very helpful!
    I would also like to find out what's the difference between Standard deduction and Itemized Deduction? Which one is better?

Thanks again!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Croissant:

If the total of all itemized deductions exceed $5,000, then she should itemize. However, at a minimum, she will get the $5,000 standard deduction if she files under First Year Choice.

Obviously, if her itemized deductions exceed $5,000, then she can choose whether to file as a resident or a non-residnet alien. The tax rates are about the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Year 2005 [ 7 Answers ]

Got this one from my daughter today... YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2005 when... 1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave. 2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years. 3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of three.

HELP... not sure which forms I need to fill out [ 3 Answers ]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a "real" job in which I received a W-2 and a second job in which I received a 1099-MISC. This is the first year I've had both of these forms and I need to know exactly what forms I need to fill out. PLEASE help! M:confused:

How to fill in tax forms on 401k distribution [ 3 Answers ]

g'day I'm trying to fill out the 2005 tax forms. Each year I fill in a 2555EZ form as I live in Australia. I then transfer the total earned income amount to the 1040 form (it is zero as I'm now a student). Have done this for a few years and there are no problems. Last year I cashed in half...

H-1 Visa from F-1 getting back Social security and which forms to fill [ 1 Answers ]

I am hirenshukla from India currently,I am on H-1 Visa starting from October 2005 and was on OPT (F-1 Visa)from January 2005 up to September 2005 My company deducted the Social security from my from my pay during the entire year so could you please guide me how can I get that social security...

Worked as CPT & OPT for 2005... Forms to file [ 1 Answers ]

Hi In 2005 I was working as CPT and then OPT for a consulting firm. As I workded as CPT & OPT I should be considered as Non-Residient Alien. On the basis whether I can file following deduction: 1) medical expenses as itemized deduction (In Publication 519 it is not mention that medical expense...

View more questions Search