Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisj0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2014, 03:31 PM
    Avoiding NYC Resident Income Tax

Hi,

I am a man in my 20's and currently live in Jersey City. I work from my apartment every day. I would prefer to live directly in NYC (for lifestyle reasons), but do not currently do so in order to avoid the NYC resident income tax.

However, what if:

1) I share an apartment in NYC with a friend. However, only his name is on the lease. He pays the monthly rent in full to the landlord, and I pay my share to him in cash under the table.

2) My friend (who lives in NYC already) rents another apartment in NYC. Only his name is on the lease. He pays the monthly rent in full to the landlord, and I pay that full amount back to him under the table.

With both of these methods, my official domicile would be my parents' house located in another state within the US. My friend and I share no connections on any paperwork, so it should be difficult/impossible to link our names together (i.e. it's not like my parents are renting an apartment in NYC in their name for my to live in, in which case it would be obvious to tax regulators that I am trying to avoid paying NYC taxes with some loophole).

Are these viable methods of avoiding the NYC resident income tax?

I really appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks!

- Chris
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2014, 04:20 PM
    Sorry, but this is an ethical site. We will not counsel you on doing something illegal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Avoiding NYC General Corporation Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New York City. I'm about to incorporate a c-corp, and intend to incorporate and operate in a nearby municipality (say a Westchester County municipality, or in nearby New Jersey) to avoid NYC's General Corporation Tax. I will not do business, employ capital, own or lease property in a...

Bee paying NYC resident tax but not NYC resident [ 2 Answers ]

My employer has been deducting New York City taxes from my paycheck since 2004 and I have not been a NYC resident since 2003. I have recently cleared up the issue with my employer, however they would only refund me for this years NYC tax deductions. I assume that I need to file a New York State...

Avoiding NYC Resident Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Last month, I just moved into Manhattan from upstate NY (an hour away from NYC)where my family lives and started in my first job at the same time. In our employee portal, I changed my address from my upstate NY address to my NY City address so I don't have to go home too often to pick-up mail or...

Non-NYC resident tax for NYS resident [ 4 Answers ]

I work in NYC however my legal residence is Hudson, NY although I also have an address in Brooklyn. For tax purposes, I have benn using my Hudson, NY address for payroll withholding. Will this present a tax liability for me at the end of the year?

NYC Non-resident income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Suffolk County NY, but my employer is located in NYC. Is there a non-resident income tax that should be taken from my pay?

View more questions Search