Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkozikova Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2014, 03:22 PM
    Live on campus and work. Am I a resident?
    I'm a graduate student who lives on campus in NYC. I also work in an office in the same city. My drivers license is from Maryland. Am I a resident of NYC? Where should I file tax return?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 05:28 PM
    Do you have a home in Maryland. Do you still claim parents home ? You stated you are still a college student?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 05:35 PM
    Where does your mail go? That's the simplest legal definition of "residence."
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 06:45 PM
    Because you are a student from out of state, and are presumably working part-time to help with school expenses, you are legally considered to be a non-resident of NYC and New York State.

Because the money was earned while working within NY State borders, you still owe NY state income tax on your part-time job. However, you ARE legally exempt from NYC income taxes.

If you file your return that way, however, expect to have to PROVE your student status to NY state tax officials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Still illegal if I work off campus and pay taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

As an F1 visa student I work off campus knowing I shouldn't. I have no other choice. I do pay taxes at the job Im working so can I still be deported?

I'm F-1 student and work out off campus, what should I do if I get 1099 form? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm F-1 student and work out off campus, what should I do if I get 1099 form? I have to say firstly that I know it's illegal to work out off campus. I'm guilty, but it's too hard for me to ask school to process hardship of finance. Now I get a job to let me survive. If I get 1099 form, what...

Intl. Student - work in CA under OPT and FL (on-campus) under F1 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, First, I want to express how glad am I that I found this website and this forum particularly. This is what I really need now. Hopefully someone can help me with my tax situation. I went to H&R Block, and they almost have no clue on my current situation. Here's my case: I am an...

Live in NY work in NJ - should I file NJ Non Resident jointly? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to start by saying that I did go through the existing question before posting this and I could not find a similar situation. Here is my situation: Me and my wife live in NY. I work in NJ and she works in NY. We are filing are our NY state tax returns jointly. I understand that I...

View more questions Search