Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crunchymom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2014, 09:52 AM
    Accountants: Retained Earnings but no cash
    We have a small business that is taxed as a partnership (just my man friend and I). This last year was so bad business-wise that we were unable to pay ourselves several times (we salary ourselves). We did, however, make all of our payments on our business loans faithfully because we are honest people and don't want to hurt our credit.

Now, we show $30k in retained earnings that we have no cash for because that money went to our loan principle, which is not an "expense" but simply reduces our liabilities. We now have to pay tax on that as flow-through to our personal taxes because it is "profit". Is there any way I can re-class this "paper profit" or distribute it or "spend" it? We simply don't have $9k to pay to the IRS for tax on money that we didn't actually make.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 10:13 AM
    Sorry, but I cannot see any way to reclassify it to a non-taxable distribution.

Suggest you set up a payment plan with the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash flow and retained earnings [ 0 Answers ]

18. What is the dollar difference between accrual net income and Cash provided by Operations?[

Why retained earnings is not included in the cash flow statement? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, please can you help me with my accounting H.W? I just want to know why retained earnings is not included in the cash flow statement?

How to declare a cash dividend on a statement of retained earnings? [ 0 Answers ]

Problem 13-2A: Cash dividends, treasury stock, and statement of retained earnings L.O. C3, P2, P3 Context Corporation reports the following components of stockholders’ equity on December 31, 2011. Common stock—$10 par value, 50,000 shares authorized, 20,000 shares issued and ...

Cash dividends and retained earnings [ 3 Answers ]

Papa Roach Exterminators, Inc. has sales of $512,000, costs of $265,000, depreciation expense of $32,000, interest expense of $20,000, and a tax rate of 35 percent. If the firm paid out $63,000 in cash dividends, the addition to retained earnings is $_____?

View more questions Search