Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kssr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2014, 09:50 AM
    First year of choice
    Hi, We came to US on July 20, 2013 on L1. In order to claim excemption for my child and apply for child tax credit, do I have to wait till we meet substantial presence test in 2014. What would be my filing status in 2013 if I do not submit returns now ? Dual Status Alien or Resident Alien ? If it's dual status Alien, do I need to submit two forms Form 1040NR and Form 1040? Please note that I do not have any income in US from Jan to July 20 and similarly no indian income from July till Dec.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2014, 10:36 AM
    If you file a joint return as a resident, you must claim ALL world-wide income (U.S. AND Indian) on the return, then submit Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit for income taxes paid to India.

If you file immediately, you will file as a non-resident alien and pay taxes ONLY on the U.S. income, but doing that will likely result in a MUCH larger tax bill.

Best you file Form 4868 to get an extension to file to 15 October 2014, and file the joint return sometime in May 2014.

If you need professional help, this IS what I do! Email me at the email address in my profile.

Mar 18, 2014, 01:07 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    The process would be

1) Submit form 4868 now for extension.
    2) Wait till May 2014 and submit a join return with filing status as Resident. Claim excemptions for dependants ( have a child) and include standard deduction / itemized as applicable. Include all income for 2013 ( US + Indian) in the return.
    3) Submit Form 1116 to claim Foreign Tax Credit.

Does this come under first year of choice category or dual status alien category ?

Do I need to submit any other documents ?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2014, 07:51 PM
    The Form 1116 is submitted WITH the tax return. You also attach a SIGNED statement to the return that you and your wife CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2013. It is the First Year Choice Married Joint option.

The tax return is submitted WITH the Form W-7 to get ITINs for your wife and child.

Do you need guidance on HOW to apply for the ITINs?

Mar 19, 2014, 08:43 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    I am aware of the process to apply for I-TIN using Form W7.

Just confirming what I need to do now

1) Submit form 4868 now for extension.
    2) Wait till May 2014 and submit a join return with filing status as Resident. Claim excemptions for dependants ( have a child) and include standard deduction / itemized as applicable. Include all income for 2013 ( US + Indian) in the return.
    3) Submit Form 1116 to claim Foreign Tax Credit along with the return.
    4) Submit W7 for ITIN's for Family
    5) Submit a separate statement that we are opting for 2013 be first year of choice and be treated as Resident Alien for whole year and be filing as Married filing Jointly
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 09:12 AM
    Okay, you say you are aware of the ITIN submission process.

Please tell me what needs to be submitted WITH the Form W-7.

Mar 19, 2014, 12:55 PM
    Hi,

I am not sure if I got the question but application for I-TIN's / W7 have to be submitted in IRS office personally (family needs to be physically present with I-94, Passport) along with your returns / Form 1040.

Am I missing anything ?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 02:47 PM
    That IS one way of submitting for ITINs. You just need to make sure it is an office that can authenticate the passports.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First year choice [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife moved to US on Nov 7 2010 and we were in US for the whole 2011 year. I filed tax return for 2010 as a NR (so individually, not joint) and now I want to amend it as a return filed by resident jointly with my wife. We both had income in India from Jan 2010 to Oct 2010. ...

First Year choice [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I came to US to work on H1b from Russia. I've entered US on 29-th of October. I'm currently looking to file my taxes for 2009 (yes, I filed the extension :)) Here is my plan: 1) Make first year choice for 2009. 2) I'm married and my wife joined me in the US on 3-rd of December. As I am...

First year choice, residents choice [ 5 Answers ]

I saw a similar question, but since my situation is a little different, I would like to be sure please. I was on H1-B from 2005 to February 2008. I then switched to F1 and was on F1 until end September 2009, when I went back to H1-B. Under substantial presence test, I was a resident for 2008...

Use of first year choice [ 1 Answers ]

I came from India on Sep-10-2006 on L1 visa with my wife. We did not go outside US from Sep-10-2006.I was present in the United States for 113 days (more than 31 days) in a row in 2006 & I was present in the United States 100% (more than 75%) of the number of days beginning with the first day of...

First year choice or not [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My status in 2006 is this: F1 to June, then OPT to 11/26/2006, then H1B My wife held B1/B2 Visa in 2006, she stayed here from 8/1/2006 to 12/31/2006, this January, she changed the Visa to H4 In 2006, my tuition was about 16000 If I file as non-resident, I can not claim my tuition...

View more questions Search