Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mayi13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 09:33 PM
    Social Security and Medicare Wages
    Hello,
    It says on my W-2 that I received social security and medicare wages but I do not know why I would receive these and I have not received this money nor am I on medicare. What does this mean?
    mysticgarden Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 10:28 PM
    Your Social Security and Medicare wages are not actually separate wages. The amounts in box 2 and 4 are the parts of your wages that are eligible for Social Security and Medicare withholding. The amounts in box 4 and 6 are the amounts that is going into you Social Security and Medicare accounts. That money is then there for when you are eligible for them. In some jobs there are parts of your wages that are not eligible for for either Federal Withholding, for example. If you have a retirement plan at work some of your wages are not eligible for Federal Withholding but are eligible for Social Security and Medicare withholding. I hope this helped
    mayi13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 10:38 PM
    I was more concerned with boxes 3 and 5 which says I have social security and medicare wages. I don't understand why boxes 3 and 5 would do so when I have received nothing... Is this separate from what you mentioned or is it the same thing?:confused:
    mysticgarden Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 10:49 PM
    Box 3 and 5 is most likely the same as in box 1. This is the total wages you made throughout the year. There are different percentages for how much is withheld for Federal, Social Security, and Medical. The bookkeeper inputs the proper amounts (incase there is retirement plans) in the proper boxes so that the correct amounts can be withheld.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security wages, medicare wages [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student in the US on F-1 visa. I have filed federal tax returns twice and NY state tax returns once preciously. Both times my W-2 did not show social security wages or medicare wages (and the tax withheld for each of these). However, this year my W-2 shows figures on...

Medicare wages and Social Security Wages [ 4 Answers ]

Hello All, Does any one know the difference between medicare wages and Social security wages vs total wages? ( on w-2 form)

Social Security and Medicare [ 3 Answers ]

I recently filed forms for Social Security and Medicare to the IRS(4 weeks ago), to be reimbursed as my employer had withheld the money in error. This morning I received a letter from the IRS stating that they haven't resolved the matter because they haven't completed all the research necessary...

Do I need to include social security and medicare wages in 1040 NR-EZ [ 4 Answers ]

I am presently on F1 status and have been staying in US for less than 3 years (International student from India). However, social security taxes and medicare taxes have been withheld in my W-2. I know that I can get a refund from my employer, if not, then by filing Form 843 and 8316. I am going...

Social security and medicare wages - what to do with these figures before claiming it [ 1 Answers ]

I am presently on F1 status and have been staying in US for less than 3 years (International student from India). However, social security taxes and medicare taxes have been withheld in my W-2. I know that I can get a refund from my employer, if not, then by filing Form 843 and 8316. I am going...

View more questions Search