Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scorpio222 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 11:00 PM
    Huge amount of State tax and Federal Tax withheld
    Hello. I am an indian working FT for a company in Atlanta, Georgia. I am working on OPT (f-1) and not H-1. Been in the US for less than 5 years. My salary is 60K.

1. I have learnt from your forums that I do not have to pay FICA taxes. The payroll company deducted FICA tax, on my first paycheck. They said they would adjust it in the next paycheck. Is there anything else I need to do about this, like when I file my taxes do I need to do some extra paperwork?

2. the paycheck from my previous company, federal tax and state tax combined was approximately 23% of the whole salary. But from this paycheck I lost 36% of my salary, out of which FICA is about 7%, so right now my deduction is about 29% only for federal and GA tax. Is this normal, considering I am filing single?

I am assuming that in my tax returns I will be getting back some money. If so, how much % would I pay for federal and state tax if my salary was 60K? I feel like I am paying a lot of taxes even for a normal salary of 60K, single and in OPT.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 11:39 PM

On F-1 or OPT, you are nonresident for 5 years and do not pay FICA taxes. So talk to your employer so that they do not withhold FICA taxes. Tax Filing -- Nonresident Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    scorpio222 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2011, 01:13 AM
    Comment on MukatA's post
    Thanks for your reply. What about the % of taxes that is withheld? Is that not a lot for 60K salary?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2011, 02:06 AM

Do your tax return. You should get a refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

How to know the correctness of tax amount withheld? [ 2 Answers ]

Lately my husband changed his job from a permanent employee to an hourly paid contractor. This month we got his first pay check and we feel that the taxes withheld are less and we are scared of its impact while filing tax return for 2008. We don't want to get alarmed by a tax bill that we need to...

Document to File prooving exemption of NY State tax and the Federal tax: F1 Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts' Hi What should my employer file, to exempt me from Federal and state tax, I am in NY, and live in NYC, My Visa status is OPT... F1 JazZ

View more questions Search