Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    echecab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Am I getting screwed
    I was getting a pay check on the books since the beginning. After a month they starting paying me off the books is that legal. Also they started paying me on the books after a month and a half. My boss said I assure you that your taxes will come on your W-2 form but my of the book checks came exactly how much I get paid an hour by 40. Is this legal?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Are your deductions listed on your check stub? It is not legal to work "off the books."

If you are working as a subcontractor, then you are responsible for your own taxes. What kind of tax paperwork have you filled out?

Sep 10, 2007, 04:15 PM
    I filed a W2 but the off the books has no deductions
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
    You could report them. I would expect you would get fired, but if they are playing fast and loose with the taxes you are better off somewhere else, anyway.

Sep 10, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Thanks you really helped me but the thing is I mentioned it and I was terminated and they don't want to give me my unenployment. They weren't paying prevailing wages or anything.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
    If you were terminated for anything besides just cause and worked more than 30 days on the books, then you are entitled to unemployment benefits. Register with your state agency.

Sep 10, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Thanks you sir John Pentland Mahaffy
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Depending on the amount of your earnings, your employer may or may not be required to withhold federal income tax. The laws vary state by state as to withholding of state income tax. However, it is my understanding that withholding of social security, medicare, unemployment insurance and disability insurance are required by law in all cases. So, at the very least, your employer should be withholding these items from your pay and is therefore breaking the law if (s)he is not doing so.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 18, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Contact the IRS. They have forms and offer assistance if you feel that you are being cheated by your employer when it comes to taxes-800-829-1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I screwed up [ 3 Answers ]

Been a bad man, drunk and pushed the wife, spent night in jail, I chose an order of protection against me for a year to get help with my problems instead of jail, Will she ever come back now?

Screwed! [ 16 Answers ]

Hello Righty's: Here's an assessment of how well Bush and his brain screwed things up. And no, this isn't a lefty speaking…. He's a non partisan figure in charge of the Government Accountability Office. He says we're in big trouble. "The US government is on a “burning platform” of...

I screwed up [ 25 Answers ]

I called up girlfriend last night because we usually always talk before we go to sleep. I was drunk and for some reason I don't remember I ended up flippin out on her. I called her today and said I was sorry and asked if I could meet her at work for lunch so we could talk about it. She said that...

My ex might have really screwed me... [ 230 Answers ]

This is my first post here, and I am going through hell right now, I feel like I have no where to turn so I need some REAL advice PLEASE. I am 24 and my grlfriend (well X now) is just turned 21 TODAY. She went on a semseter at sea trip this summer for about 2 months and everything was great. I have...

I screwed up [ 4 Answers ]

I made a mistake and lied to my girlfriend. She told me she never wanted to see me or talk to me again. This girl is the only girl I have felt this way for and I cannot stop thinking about her. Right now she is now talking to me but it only about how mad she is at me and keeps asking why I did it....

View more questions Search