Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momsarrears Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 07:39 PM
    Still working and not paying
    Hi, it's me again! Now for my next question. My ex has been working under the table, I know this and he really doesn't hide it. My children know and have been to his work. He applied for social security disability over a year ago, he was denied the first hearing, which I believe is the norm. His next hearing is scheduled for the end of this month. He'll probably be approved.

In the meantime, he has not paid any support since applying for disability, that's the arrears I was talking about in my first question. I feel like he is putting so much effort into not paying support. I finally reported that I believe he still works. We have an enforcement hearing next week. I am a nervous wreck, I don't like causing trouble. My question is: Would my children be better off if I didn't push the fact that I know he is working and just let him collect his disability? Right now he hasn't given them any money and the arrears are getting higher and I doubt I'll ever see it anyway. Would my children receive more if he does receive disabilty?

Thank you so much for your help. I'm a nervous wreck waiting for the enforcement hearing and still don't know if I should ruin him or just worry that my children get something. HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO DO! Thanks again!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 07:43 PM
    My dad pulled the same crap for years. My mom fought him nonstop. My mother was never one to raise a fuss or cause trouble but when it came to getting the support money my mom fought like a banshee out of hell. You are OWED that support money to care for your kids.

Do not doubt you will get that money. My mom fought for over 10 years she is now collecting over $100,000 in arrears on top of alimony. You will get your mom. Please think positively and remember this is for your kids.

What goes around comes around, he'll get his believe me. My father now has the states thumb on him so hard that if he sneezes and moves back an inch they're on him.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 07:58 PM
    He really shouldn't, its criminal what deadbeat parents do. I never understood I just used to think, we are YOUR kids why wouldn't you want to do right. But some people in this world are just bad people and are more concerned with their happiness then that of their kids.

You are doing right and he is the one doing wrong. Keep that in your mind and it will keep you going. All of this stuff with my dad turned my mom into such a fighter. She is the strongest person I know and she was never like that when she was married to my dad. She just got mad and decided if she had to she would fight him in court until he died. Especially since my dad made a huge deal about giving lots of child support and lots of alimony (he is a giant jackass... ) my mom decided to hold him to his show.

You can do this. I believe in you. You are fighting a good fight for your kids.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 05:48 PM
    If you have concrete evidence that he is working under the table, then you can get the court to impute income to him. He'll then have to pay child support, in an amount commensurate with the imputed income. By law, SSI benefits cannot be garnished, so he'll have to make the payments on his own, directly to whatever agency in your state handles the collection and disbursement of child support payments.
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2007, 04:51 PM
    SSD will garnish his checks if you forward them the court order for the child support. If he qualifies for Disability Insurance Benefits, then your children (minors only) are eligible for payments under his record.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 05:21 PM
    I only have the utmost disdain for men (or women) who get paid under the table and try and get disability - or have the disability check and still get cash wages. While I can somewhat sympathize that the disability check is not a living wage, it is still cheating.

For you, it is cheating you and your children. Your children most of all. Yes, by all means, pursue this issue and keep after him and the child support. Wishing you the very best in all this.

I once reported one of my neighbors who was bragging about her SSDI and her other income. She worked under the table for a bar owner - kept his books for him. Made $500.00 a week, straight cash. Plus she was on housing and food stamps and medicaid, plus energy assistance. Taxpayers foot the bill for disability fraud. Lots of people out there trying to scam Social Security.

Sep 11, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Yep, see it all of the time. I try to stay away from that. Totally agree that you need to definitely pursue all of your options and be aware of what's going on.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 06:24 PM
    If he can work, then he is not disable, so not only is he trying to cheat you, but he is trying to cheat me also, since my tax dollars pay that SSI checks.

Personally, have children testify as to being at his work, ask for him to provide bank statements of deposits and expenses, and so on.
    If he is working and not paying, he needs to be in jail.

If he is working and trying to defraud the SSI system, he needs to be in jail also.

Sep 12, 2007, 05:34 PM
    Unfortunately, SSA, like every other government agency, is very slow and doesn't listen very clearly. WHEN you report your ex, please do so anonomously-they are required to tell the claimant who reported them-they have the right to face their accuser, and total and complete access to their file (for only $25.00). You need to be able to provide places, times, employer and an estimate of income. There is an agency that is part of the Investigator General's office that actually follows SSD claimants around with video cameras (not a joke-I've had clients nailed trying to cheat the system-and me), so SSA does have the investigation staff to do the work, just a huge backlog.
    scrap_box Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
    If he is aproved for the ssi your children have a right to it . Also get video of him working .ssi will have a fit.On him. He should pay for his children,there his

Sep 13, 2007, 05:22 PM
    If he's on SSI (supplemental security income-NO JOB ever) the children will not qualify-ssi does not allow money for beneficiaries. If he is on Disablity Insurance Benefits, the children will qualify under his record for a benefit of their own provided he earns enough from SSA. Don't do any investigative work yourself-SSA has people that do that. All you have to do is let them know of the suspicions that you have and they will investigate. It is also standard procedure for SSA to review claims every three years. If you investigate on your own, you are spending your money and putting yourself at risk. SSA will find out about him, just report it to the local office. Make sure you have his Social Security number.
    Tealwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
    You will no doubt not like some of this. I have a great dislike for anyone who works under the table while others are paying and properly reporting what they earn... I also dislike single parents whining about what they are not getting in terms of child support. Been 8yrs paying all the bills for my children as they live with me and it is my responsibility to pay for them. My ex also has a home or house that requires the same considerations or financial payments.

Two homes mean two sets of payments and then become an option for the children... yet all I hear about is the incessant whine from custodial mothers about what it costs... and never what they are actually doing to earn the requirements themselves... just what they do not get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dodge Ram A/C working, then not working [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Within the last year whenever I turn the a/c on it will work fine and after about 5 or 10 minutes will start to blow hot air as if I turned the a/c off and had the fan blowing outside air. At first I started turning the a/c off and then back on which would...

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

Paying twice [ 1 Answers ]

I opened a account with a furniture company many years ago (apex 10yrs ago) and I thought my bill was paid in full I just received a letter from a collection company telling me that I have this outstanding bill with them I told them that I do not have my paper work from the furniture company.I...

Paying off old collections [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are purchasing a new home and when my husband's credit report was pulled he owed several small collection amounts. For us to get the better interest rate on our mortgage he needs to raise his FICO score by 10 points. Will paying off all those small amounts in full differ from...

View more questions Search