Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silpakona Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 12:10 PM
    For F-1 Students is whole 'Stipend' income tax exempt under India-Usa Treaty ?
    Hi,

I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department.

Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with a Public accountant, he asked me if I intended to settle down in this country. My answer was yes and he filed my taxes using the
    1040 EZ form.

However, my friends who have been filing their taxes elsewhere, use the 1040NR-EZ and the 8843 form.

I have noticed that they file their taxes saying that their entire "Stipend Income Amount" is exempt from taxes -- using the INdia -usa tax treaty .

This gives them back all the taxes that they have paid over the year-both federal and state.

I fail to understand if this is legally correct.

Am I filing the wrong forms and losing out on the money that I dont have to pay as tax??

I personally think that after some years down the lane, they might have to pay back that money retroactively. I might be wrong and would like to know the real deal.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 27, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by silpakona
    Hi,

I entered USA in the August of 2005 on F-1 Visa. I received a graduate assistantship for one year and later on became a Research Assistant (RA) in my department.

Being an RA entitles me to full tuition remission and am paid a stipend of 18K per year. When I filed my taxes previously with a Public accountant, he asked me if I intended to settle down in this country. My answer was yes and he filed my taxes using the
    1040 EZ form.

However, my friends who have been filing their taxes elsewhere, use the 1040NR-EZ and the 8843 form.

I have noticed that they file their taxes saying tht their entire "Stipend Income Amount" is exempt from taxes -- using the INdia -usa tax treaty .

This gives them back all the taxes that they have paid over the year-both federal and state.

I fail to understand if this is legally correct.

Am I filing the wrong forms and losing out on the money that I dont have to pay as tax??

I personally think that after some years down the lane, they might have to pay back tht money retroactively. I might be wrong and would like to know the real deal.
    Many accountants in this country have little knowledge of international taxation. You should have filed as a NON RESIDENT. File a 1040 NR and you also need to file an amended return for last year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Agree with TaxSearcher.

It is possible that your stipend is entirely tax exempt. You will need to amend the return to get that taxes back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

US-India treaty benefits in MA state tax? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi A.T.E, Thanks for your advice and time. Let me keep it as straight as possible: 1. Can I claim US-India treaty benefits while filing state taxes in Mass. 2. Can I claim my brother as dependent if I am paying his tuition fee for undergrad education in US? If yes, where do I reflect it in...

India-US tax treaty [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I entered the US on an F-1 in July 2006, and was resident in India prior to that. Previously, I had visited briefly in Feb 2006 on a B-1/B-2 visa. While using the Cintax software to calculate my returns for 2006, it does not deduct the standard deduction for 2006 ($5,150) for me, though it...

Who profits from USA-India Nuke Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

In dollars and cents, what companies in the United States will profit from the sale of nuclear components to India?

India-US tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted...

View more questions Search