Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muz399 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 06:01 PM
    F1/H1 with spouse studying in Canada
    Hello,

Situation:
    For 2006, I was single and on an F-1 status from Janaury-June. I got married in July. From July-September, I was on an F-1 status with OPT. From October-December, I was on an H-1 status.
    My wife is a grad student in Canada and gets a stipend. She held a visitor's visa in the US on which she visited me in 2006 for about 40 days after getting married.
    Both my wife and I are Indians.

Questions:

1. Can I file under "married filing jointly"?
    2. Will I have to put my wife's stipend in my tax return? (She is already paying taxes in Canada)
    3. What forms do I have to fill? 1040NR/EZ or 1040 EZ?

Thanks.
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 25, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by muz399
    Hello,

Situation:
    For 2006, I was single and on an F-1 status from Janaury-June. I got married in July. From July-September, I was on an F-1 status with OPT. From October-December, I was on an H-1 status.
    My wife is a grad student in Canada and gets a stipend. She held a visitor's visa in the US on which she visited me in 2006 for about 40 days after getting married.
    Both my wife and I are Indians.

Questions:

1. Can I file under "married filing jointly"?
    2. Will I have to put my wife's stipend in my tax return? (She is already paying taxes in Canada)
    3. What forms do I have to fill? 1040NR/EZ or 1040 EZ?

Thanks.
    If 2006 was your first year on F1 then you are a non-resident and should file a 1040 NR. You cannot file jointly with your spouse.
    muz399 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 09:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taxsearcher
    If 2006 was your first year on F1 then you are a non-resident and should file a 1040 NR. You cannot file jointly with your spouse.
    I have been on F1 since 2001.

-muz399
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Then you MUST file as a resident alien; the exemption under the F-1 visa expired for you on 31 December 2005.

Your wife can file jointly with you and CHOOSE to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2006. If she does so, she will declare the stipend income on Line #21 and claim a foreign tax credit using form 1116.

You MAY want to get professional tax help to go through all the options. Filing separately may be the better alternative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Studying in US [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Frenz, If anyone can quench my thirst of knowledge about how to pursue education in US with financial aid and education support.How can I get teaching Assistantship for pursuing PhD in structural dynamics in civil engg.pls guide me Thanks in advance, Regards

Methodology in studying religion [ 4 Answers ]

How would a student of religion, who may or may not have any religious convictions, set about examining a religion with which they were unfamiliar with, using methodology?

View more questions Search