Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yuanyuan18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Resident Alien claim China-US tax treaty benefits?
    Hi, I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and currently studying in the states as a F1 student. This is my sixth year in the states. I just recently married to an American citizen. We filed my green card application in early June, 2007. We are expecting to adjust my status to permanent resident in September or October of 2007. My question is will I still be eligible to claim US-China income tax treaty benefits on the fellowship I receive, based on the exception to the "saving clause" in the paragraph 2 of the protocol 1?

Protocol 1 paragraph2 states as this in the US-China Income Tax Convention: 2. Notwithstanding any provision of the Agreement, the United States may tax its citizens. Except as provided in paragraph 2 of Article 8, paragraph 2 of Article 17, and Articles 18, 19, 20 (Students and Trainees), 22, 23, 24 and 26 of this Agreement, the United States may tax its residents.

On the IRS website, it also says:

Nonresident Alien Who Becomes a Resident Alien
    Generally, only a nonresident alien individual may use the terms of a tax treaty to reduce or eliminate U.S. tax on income from a scholarship or fellowship grant. A student (including a trainee or business apprentice) or researcher who has become a resident alien for U.S. tax purposes may be able to claim benefits under a tax treaty that apply to reduce or eliminate U.S. tax on scholarship or fellowship grant income. Most treaties contain a provision known as a "saving clause." Exceptions specified in the saving clause may permit an exemption from tax to continue for scholarship or fellowship grant income even after the recipient has otherwise become a U.S. resident alien for tax purposes. In this situation, the individual must give you a Form W-9 (PDF) to claim his treaty exemption and an attachment that includes all the following information:

The individual's name
    The individual's U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
    A statement that the individual is a resident alien under
    The green card test
    The substantial presence test, or
    The residency article of a tax treaty
    The tax treaty under which the individual is claiming a benefit
    The article number of the tax treaty under which the individual is claiming a benefit, and a description of the article
    A statement that the individual is relying upon an exception to the saving clause of the tax treaty to claim the benefit

Example: Article 20 of the U.S.-China income tax treaty allows an exemption from tax for scholarship income received by a Chinese student temporarily present in the United States. Under the Internal Revenue Code, a student may become a resident alien for tax purposes if his or her stay in the United States exceeds 5 calendar years. However, the treaty allows the provisions of Article 20 to continue to apply even after the Chinese student becomes a resident alien of the United States.

Therefore, Can I still claim tax exemption on my fellowship after I receive my green card? The IRS website also says that "some exceptions to the saving clause apply to all resident aliens (for example, under the US-China treaty); others apply only to resident aliens who are not lawful permanent residents of the United States (green card holders)." This means I could use the exception no matter how I became a resident alien (green card or substantial presence test), right? Thank you very much for your help!!

Yuan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Yuan:

Whether you know it or not, you became a resident alien at the beginning of your sixth year in the U.S. regardless of your F-1 status. However, because of the 'saving clause' in the China-U.S. Tax Treaty, I believe that you are STILL eligible for the $5,000 treaty exemption for that sixth year.

However, when you get the green card, you WILL lose that exemption. You will also lose the exemption if you file jointly with your wife prior to getting the green card.
    anthony_bu Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 09:32 AM
    I found this post by Google, although it's an old post, I must say something.

Regarding the answer given by AtlantaTaxExpert, part of it is NOT true. If you maintain F1 status, you are considered an exempt individual, thus the days you present in US is not calculated into the residency test. To clam the exemption, you need to file form 8843 every year, and that is what international student office in every school keeping telling their students!!

Please refer to IRS article topic 851: Tax Topics - Topic 851 Resident and Non–Resident Aliens

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Yuan:

Whether you know it or not, you became a resident alien at the beginning of your sixth year in the U.S. regardless of your F-1 status. However, because of the 'saving clause' in the China-U.S. Tax Treaty, I believe that you are STILL eligible for the $5,000 treaty exemption for that sixth year.

However, when you get the green card, you WILL lose that exemption. You will also lose the exemption if you file jointly with your wife prior to getting the green card.
    anthony_bu Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
    I just read through the Publication 901 again and I see the 5-year limit on page 6. Sorry about the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_bu View Post
    I found this post by google, although it's an old post, I must say something.

Regarding the answer given by AtlantaTaxExpert, part of it is NOT true. If you maintain F1 status, you are considered an exempt individual, thus the days you present in US is not calculated into the residency test. To clam the exemption, you need to file form 8843 every year, and that is what international student office in every school keeping telling their students!!!

Please refer to IRS article topic 851: Tax Topics - Topic 851 Resident and Non–Resident Aliens
    ~Edo~ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Yuan:

Hi, I'm currently in my 4th year under my F-1 visa and I married to a US citizen in 2009. We want to file our tax jointly for 2009 so I'll be treated as a residential alien. However, my W-2 only shows my income after the $5000 tax treaty and I also have a 1042-S form for 2009. Should I just add $5000 to my W-2 wages, tips, other comp. when I'm doing the tax return?

Thank you!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
    Yes, add the $5,000, either on Line #7 or on Line #21 of Form 1040.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 29, 2010, 06:28 PM

I disagree. If the person is from China, the treaty benefit remains available to him/her.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
    TTE:

I am not sure if you refer to EDO or YuanYuan.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 30, 2010, 01:29 PM

I was following on regarding EDO's post. The treaty would still be applicable to him/her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Tax treaty and education credits for F-1 filing as resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student from India - I came to US in 2001 and since I've been here for more than 5 years (and I pass the SPT), it seems I will have to file my taxes as a resident alien (RA) this year. Usually I copy paste my tax forms (1040NR-EZ, 8843) from previous years but I just found out about...

Canada China Tax Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently working in Taiwan and I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm filing my taxes and I believe Taiwan to be under the current tax treaty between China and Canada as Taiwan is still a member of the Republic of China, therefore I need to know what percentage of my income is exempt under the tax...

Can I claim tax treaty benefits while filing 1040? [ 1 Answers ]

I arrived in the US from Jamaica in 2002 on a FI visa and remained in this status until May 2006. At that time, I switched to OPT and then to H1-B. I received fellowship income from 2004 up to the time I switched to OPT. My fellowship income was taxed and I filed f-1040 for 2004 and 2005,...

Tax treaty for resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - hopefully all I'll need is a 'yes!' answer for this :) I'm a UK citizen, who passes the SPT (worked in US from 10/04 through 07/06 on H1B). I'd like to claim my federal tax back using the UK-US treaty. So I file a 1040EZ and claim the treaty on that, send a W-9 to my employer, and don't...

View more questions Search