Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    majormajor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 02:30 AM
    401k for non US resident
    Hello, I worked in the US, was a resident under L visa and contributed to a 401k, like any other US employee. I now work outside of the US under a US expat contract still for the same US company and I am on US payroll: I fill out a US tax return every year but I am not a US resident nor do I have a green card.
    May I still contribute to the 401k as if I were a US citizen?
    My company seems to think I cannot contribute any longer and even would like to break the 401k, which would trigger I think taxes and penalties... :mad:
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2009, 03:48 AM

If you are nonresident and you are not present in the U.S. then your income is not taxable in the U.S. even when you are paid by the U.S. employer. Submit W-8BEN to the employer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Agreed; you may want to amend those returns that you have filed to at least get back the federal income taxes you have paid.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2009, 07:39 PM

I am not sure if you being a non-resident alien prevents you from contributing to a 401(k) plan but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Yes, if you take distributions out of the 401(k), you will be subject to U.S. income tax on the distributions and may owe a penalty for early withdrawl.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 10:53 AM
    The issue is usually NOT what the tax law allows, but rather what the 401K custodian allows, and that seems to be the case here.

Be that as it may, rather than a forced distribution of the 401K assets (with the resultant taxes and penalties), the OP should investigate the option of rolling the 401K into an IRA, something which IS permitted if the OP can find a willing custodian.

I know from experience that Charles Schwab IS a willing custodian in such matters, as they cater to an international clientele.
    majormajor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    The issue is usually NOT what the tax law allows, but rather what the 401K custodian allows, and that seems to be the case here.

Be that as it may, rather than a forced distribution of the 401K assets (with the resultant taxes and penalties), the OP should investigate the option of rolling the 401K into an IRA, something which IS permitted if the OP can find a willing custodian.

I know from experience that Charles Schwab IS a willing custodian in such matters, as they cater to an international clientele.
    Thanks for all the answers. If there is no law against non US citizen working abroad but on US payroll contributing to a 401k, why should the custodian bother? If nobody breaks any law, what could be the problem for the custodian?
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Nov 17, 2009, 10:16 AM

There's a lot more to this than you think.

One issue you need to consider is whether the foreign country in which you are resident will impose tax on the earnings of the account. Although these may be tax deferred for US purposes, the account may not qualify as being tax deferred for the purposes of the foreign country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K early withdrawal by non-resident [ 18 Answers ]

Hello I was working in the US until July 1st of this year (and since 2003). Ever since I have been living and working in the UK. I had earned about $46000 gross in my previous company in the US in those 6 months. I have about $20000 in my 401K account. I was planning to transfer all my 401K...

401k withdrawal by Indian Resident [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US from Aug 2002 to Dec 2007, initially as F1 (including OPT) until Sep 2006 and on H1 thereafter. I took an internal transfer and working with the same company now in India. I filed 1040NR for 2002 - 2006 and for last year i.e. 2007 I filed 1040 since I qualified for it as First...

Early 401K distribution by Non-Resident [ 2 Answers ]

I am a citizen of India and relocated from US to Singapore in 2006. I was employed in US on an H1B visa. In 2007, I took an early distribution of US$20,000 from my 401K account. The institution withheld 30% from my distribution and sent me a Form 1042-S. I will appreciate if someone could explain...

401K Non-Resident question [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose I will leave US for good this year i.e. Sep 2006. Would it help if I wait a bit and request the entire 401k distribution on Jan 1 2007 instead of i.e. Sep 2006? I am 30 years old, H1B, and earn about 100K/Yr. My 401K balance is about 40K. I am thinking that I will not have W-2 or other...

Cashing out 401k as non resident. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm an italian citizen now living in Italy. Between 1996 and end of 2001 I worked in the US under a H1B visa program. I contributed to my 401k plan working with 2 different companies. I'm now considering cashing out the retirement plan to help me paying off my house here in Italy. Beside...

View more questions Search