Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Internship housing included in W-2
    My daughter served 3 internships this year. 1 included housing. When she received
    Her W-2's, the company that provided housing included over an additional $9000 on her W-2 for her housing, doubling the amount of her W-2 income from that company. On the stub, it was referred to as a NCA loan? She does remember having any discussions with the HR and all the interns about this. How do we do her taxes? Previous years, we claimed her in college as our dependent, she made around six thousand each year. This year she made $20k in wages and $9000 in housing. We still paid her college tuition, her health insurance, helped with room and board for nine months of 12, will we still be able to claim her for 2008? Thanks for any insight!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 09:38 PM

It appears that you will not be able to claim her. You can claim her only if you provided more than half of her support? Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

$9000 received by her for housing is also her income. Any housing provided by employer is not tax free.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2009, 01:18 PM

In this case, it is not a requirement that the parent has to provide more than half her support, it is that she must not provide more than half of her own support. I'm assuming that she is a student.

If she meets the other conditions and does not provide more than half her own support, she is still your dependent child.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 03:25 PM
    I agree with TTE on this one.

The college tuition paid is probably the deciding factor as to whether your daughter provided more than half of her support. Most colleges charge well over $20K per year for tuition. That, plus room, board and health insurance would more than qualify your support as sufficient to claim her as a dependent in spite of her 29K in taxable income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding an internship [ 4 Answers ]

What are the best ways to find an interesting and paying internship? Are there specific sites that can help search for one? What are internship search dos and don'ts?

Tax on Internship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a grad student with research assthshp job in my univ. at Alabama from Jan-May, and worked as a paid intern student from May to Dec. at a company in Washington state. SHould I file for Federal and State tax for both the states separately or combined? How should I file taxes? Also, can...

Tax Deductions while on a internship [ 1 Answers ]

My son is a college student and his major requires him to take a internship with a company in his field of study in which he gets credits for. (He pays for the credits also). He was on a 7 month internship 100 miles away from both his home town and school. He was paid like a regular employee with...

Look for a j1 internship... [ 0 Answers ]

How can I find an internship/ training / entry level position in usa? A j1 sponsor? Does exist any web site? :confused:

View more questions Search