Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nwuyiqiao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 04:38 PM
    My employer forgot to withhold FICA taxes for me
    I have been working on H1B visa for the last two years.
    I recently discovered that as H1B I still need to pay FICA (social and medicare) tax.
    But my company did not withhold these taxes for me for two years now.
    What should I do? Am I required to pay the prior missing FICA taxes? Will I be considered conducting tax fraud?
    Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwuyiqiao View Post
    I have been working on H1B visa for the last two years.
    I recently discovered that as H1B I still need to pay FICA (social and medicare) tax.
    But my company did not withhold these taxes for me for two years now.
    What should I do? Am I required to pay the prior missing FICA taxes? Will I be considered conducting tax fraud?
    Thanks!

You will have to explain your employment situation. If you are EMPLOYED (not self employed) by law your employer HAS to deduct these taxes. It's not a matter of choice or a matter of citizenship.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 14, 2008, 12:02 AM

1. Are you an employee or an independent contractor? Did you get W2 or 1099-misc from your employer? If you are an independent contractor, then you must pay your own taxes. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 vs 1099-Misc: Employee vs Independent Contractor.

2. If you are a W2 employee, then your employer must withhold FICA taxes. You must send them email so that they start deducting it, and they also collect it from full year. For past year, the IRS will question your employer. Then your employer will contact you to collect the back taxes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Now that you know that you are liable for FICA taxes, you have the legal obligation to inform your employer of this fact.

Your employer was suppose to collect your share of the FICA taxes for 2006 and 2007. Technically, he has NO LEGAL STANDING to do that collection now, and if he attempts to do so, you can refuse.

Of course, your employment would probably be terminated, but you would avoid paying the back taxes for two years.

For 2008, the employer has the right to collect the back FICA taxes, and will retain that right until 31 January 2009.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Now that you know that you are liable for FICA taxes, you have the legal obligation to inform your employer of this fact.

Your employer was suppose to collect your share of the FICA taxes for 2006 and 2007. Technically, he has NO LEGAL STANDING to do that collection now, and if he attempts to do so, you can refuse.

Of course, your employment would probably be terminated, but you would avoid paying the back taxes for two years.

For 2008, the employer has the right to collect the back FICA taxes, and will retain that right until 31 January 2009.

I didn't want to open a new thread but would like to ask a question, if I may?

Isn't the employer bound by Law to withhold FICA? Would the employer have any liability if, for whatever reason, the employer did not?

I haven't seen any indication that this is a 1099 employee - but perhaps he is but he doesn't mention Federal and State taxes, just FICA -
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Judy:

With international students on a J-1 or F-1 visa who are working under either a Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curriculum Practical Training (CPT), these students are EXEMPT from FICA taxes while on OPT or CPT.

CPTs normally last 3 - 6 months, but some OPTs can last up to two years. During these training periods, the student works full-time and earns a full-time income. I have seen OPT incomes in the low six figures in NYC for trainees at some of the Wall Street firms.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Judy:

With international students on a J-1 or F-1 visa who are working under either a Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curriculum Practical Training (CPT), these students are EXEMPT from FICA taxes while on OPT or CPT.

CPTs normally last 3 - 6 motnhs, but some OPTs can last up to two years. During these training periods, the student works full-time and earns a full-time income. I have seen OPT incomes in the low six figures in NYC for trainees at some of the Wall Street firms.

Hmmm - I learn from these boards every day. I have learned the J-1 and F-1 FICA info as well as why I should quit my profession and become a Wall Street trainee.

Thanks - I'm sure I answered this incorrectly in the past and now I have the correct info.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 16, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Judy:

Do not forget the NYC cost of living. Student trainees at banks routinely make $50K because that's what you need to live in NYC.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Judy:

Do not forget the NYC cost of living. Student trainees at banks routinely make $50K because that's what you need to live in NYC.

OK, now for sure I'm moving. Wonder if you have to have knowledge of banking in order to work as a trainee at a bank? Well, I'm a fast learner and from the way the economy is going - well, that's another issue.

I actually used to live in NYC but had any number of roommates drifting in and out and we were under rent control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all, I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are...

Employer didn't contribute FICA taxes [ 7 Answers ]

I work at a state college. When I was a student employee the college was not obligated to pay any FICA taxes. After I graduated I started working at the college as a full-time employee. Two years later the college admitted that there was a bug in their payroll system and that they had not been...

Employer requesting to be reimbursed for old fica taxes. [ 10 Answers ]

My husband worked as a contractor for 2 years and we would pay our own taxes in installmentsto the IRS ourselves. The state of CA then required the employer to reclassify them as employees for 2005 . They were reclassified as employees in September 2005 but the employer paid his share of ss and...

Employer did not withhold Georgia State Taxes [ 6 Answers ]

I just discovered my employer has not been withholding Georgia state taxes. They have been withholding all other taxes. Since we don't receive a pay stub each payday, I retrieved my first pay stub online and missed it. I haven't pull any others since the direct deposit was the same each time...

View more questions Search