Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffmckay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Taxes and 401K
    I have a 401K with a balance of $100,000 that I've designated to pay off my son's college education debts. I have other investments and a fixed annuity for my own retirement. I owe $74,000 to Sallie Mae in PLUS education loans. I want to cash in the 401k and use the funds to pay off the Sallie Mae loan. What are your thoughts?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 12:59 PM
    First, depending on your age (under 59-1/2, I assume), you will probably find that the $100,000 in your 401(k) will yield less than $74,000 after penalties for early withdrawal and taxes. Remember, whatever you take out of the 401(k) gets taxed as regular income, so this may push you into a higher tax bracket for both federal and state taxes. So your $100K gets reduced first to $90K because of the early withdrawal, and then the feds take, say 33% of the gross, and depending on your state perhaps they get another 5%, leaving you about half.

You say you have other investments -- why not use those to pay off the loans?
    jeffmckay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 02:17 PM
    I am 60, so there would be no 10 percent penalty.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

May 15, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Taking out the full 100K in one year could push you up into a higher tax bracket than taking the funds out over several years. Your tax bracket will depend on your income from all sources. You need to do some projections / modeling to determine how much your tax would increase under various scenarios.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 15, 2007, 07:48 PM
    I would find another method of paying off Sallie Mae if it were me. While it true there is no 10 % penalty imposed by IRS orState since your'e over 59 1/2 but just to be taxed as ordinary income on the cash out seems to me to be just too high a penalty. Why not go back to work, put all you net against the Sallie Mae loan? Or use another investment to pay off the loan. If you do use other investments, run the numbers on the interest being earned on the investments you might surrender vs the interest being charged on the Sallie Mae loan.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 16, 2007, 01:56 PM
    I agree with the consensus. Using your 401K to pay off those student are a BAD idea.

Further, how about asking your son to bear some the load. It was HIS education, after all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, If I am enrolled in my company 401k plan do I need to account that in my taxes. I am going to file the 1040NR form and I was wondering if I need to mention the 401k amount I invested in line 31 of 1040NR i.e "IRA deduction" Thanks...

401k taxes and penalty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, can someone please tell me how many % is taxable in a 401k withdrawal and is this on top of the 10% penalty? If you use the withdrawal to buy a house is there a tax break?? :confused: Iam 32 years old and the amount is 31,600 and when do I pay the penalty and the tax? Any other alternative...

401K and taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I recently (maybe 6 months ago), signed up with my company's new 401K. Do I need any special info from this account to do my taxes this year? I have conflicting reports. My co-workers told me that I need the end of the year statement(which I misplaced). I called the company that handles our 401K...

Do I have to claim 401K on my taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

I started my 401K plan in Oct of 2005. Do you have to claim 401K information on your taxes? When I called Schwabb the other day to increase my contributions a recording noted that the 2006 tax forms would be mailed out on Jan 31st. I'm just confused because I didn't get anything in the mail in...

Taxes on 401k cashout [ 1 Answers ]

The amount is $36,000.00. The holding company withheld $7,200.00 for the IRS. Is the entire amount of $36,000.00 still a taxable amount? Does the 10% early withdrawal penalty come of the taxable amount, and now the taxable amount is $32,400.00? Is the taxable amount the total after the 20%...

View more questions Search