Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2004, 02:43 AM
    Adware and spyware removers
    What's the best free adware/spyware remover to get that won't mess up my computer? I want one that will not mess up my Internet explorer, antivirus and programs I put on my computer but just get rid of things that are not necessary. I used one several months ago that I think messed things up so I want to be careful this time around. What is it that's usually needed to keep in these various freeware programs that lets the program you get work is it adware or spyware or keyloggers? I'm very confused.
    Thanks for your advice
    Kat.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 12, 2004, 12:35 PM
    Re: adware and spyware removers
    Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destrpy are the two I think are used most. I've used spybot search and destroy and it seems pretty decent.

In response to your last question, all three are someimtes included infreeware programs.

Apr 12, 2004, 07:17 PM
    Re: adware and spyware removers
    Thank you very much for replying, I appreciate it

Jul 4, 2004, 02:39 AM
    Adware and spyware removers
    Thank you very much for the info. Have a happy 4th
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Nov 2, 2004, 12:39 PM
    As I have said before... FREE is not always the most effective solution. I would download Giant AntiSpyware as a free trial to thoroughly clean the computer of spyware and then I would download the free software afterwards but in my opinion, the GIANT software is worth more than twice the $29.00 a year that they are asking for it. It is that good. I use it on service calls every week. You may download a free trial of the software at the link below. Just click on Products and then Free Downloads.

This product combined with the Spyware-Adware Removal Kit on the same site will provide a complete solution to your problem.
    carlos4285 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2004, 10:45 AM
    Free is the best
    Ad-aware is the best program for this type of problem hands down. If you really want to eliminate the adware problem for good you need to stop using internet explorer and start using Firefox from mozilla.org. it is far betterand more secure. If you install it you will also need to install flash and java to go along with it.

Dec 3, 2004, 11:08 AM
    For anyone who thinks that "FREE IS THE BEST", try running your FREE spyware remover and then download the free trial of Giant Anti-Spyware (Normally $29.00 a year) and then run its spyware remover. After following your FREE removal programs scan with the Giant AntiSpyware scan, you will no longer believe that FREE is best.

You may download a free trial of Giant AntiSpyware at the link below to compare and see how your program stacks up to the one rated #1 in the industry.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2004, 04:35 PM
    Spyware/Advertising Programs
    Hi,
    I use both AdAware_SE and SpyBot.
    They are very good; not saying the best cause I haven't used everything out there!
    Here are links to both:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

Both are easily installed; and both have an "update" feature, whereby you click while on the web; and it tells you if there are updated "definitions" to download.

I use Win98SE with IE6/SP1; works very well and has never caused any problems.

I also use Norton Antivirus; updated every couple of days; and have never had any problems with it, either.

By all means, get yourself a spyware/advertising program, such as above, or something else. Run a computer scan about every week.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 3, 2004, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cremedies
    For anyone who thinks that "FREE IS THE BEST", try running your FREE spyware remover and then download the free trial of Giant Anti-Spyware (Normally $29.00 a year) and then run its spyware remover. After following your FREE removal programs scan with the Giant AntiSpyware scan, you will no longer believe that FREE is best.

You may download a free trial of Giant AntiSpyware at the link below to compare and see how your program stacks up to the one rated #1 in the industry.

:-(

First off, the thread starter stated she was only interested in free-of-charge programs...

Your program is only "#1 in the industry" in your mind.

You've made your sales pitch, so now you can stop. You don't need to do it multiple times in the same thread.

Oh, and by the way, a little suggestion:
    "FREE" Spyware-Adware Removal Kit
    Don't advertise something by putting the word free in quotes. Quotes are bad here. Quotes imply double meaning. "FREE" means evil-strings-attached.

Spybot S&D
    Ad-aware
    Firefox

Have a nice day,

~psi42

Dec 5, 2004, 08:59 PM
    My sincerest apologies PSI. I was only trying to help.

However, I have enclosed the following link as proof of my statement and there are several other independent studies performed by others as well that state that Giant AntiSpyware is the best product on the market at this current time.

The only reason it is ranked #2 on this site is because it is a new product and the tech support is lacking but the effectiveness of the product itself is #1 by the independent studies' own admission.

Read the results yourself at the following link.

http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000005.html

God Bless.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2005, 07:37 PM
    More Options
    For Spyware protection and general help cleaning up the computer and registry I recommend,

The following files, as I have found 1 or even 2 is not always enough, as 1 may find

Something the others do not, so protect yourself with several programs, if may be a pain,

But a needed one.

Spyware
    Microsoft New SPyware program-Formerly Giant spyware, they bought it out.
    Spysweeper
    Spybot search and destroy
    Adware SE
    Aluria's Spyware Eliminator
    Spyhunter
    &
    Spyware Blaster, this one prevents certain items, before they are even installed, it does

Not clean.

I would suggest at the very least 3 or more of the above programs.

Registry and Fix and Repair programs
    Fix it Utilities 5 this one has an excellent Scandisk, better than the one with your OS
    Advanced System Optimizer
    Ace Utilities
    System Mechanic 5

Any 2 or more of these.

And download the Google toolbar with built in pop up stopper for your browser is good.

And a good solid Anti Virus Program or 2, updated weekly.
    PC-Cillin
    AVG Anti Virus
    Bitdefender
    Etrust EZ Anti virus

I would suggest using 2 of these.

A good defragging Program or 2
    Diskeeper Lite
    Perfect Disk.

Also run from Start/run type in chkdsk then let that run then type in chkdsk /f to help fix

WinXP errors.

Also use the below website, that tests and reviews some for the best programs out for many

Different things, they give you side by side comparisons and rate each one in many

Categories.
    http://www.toptenreviews.com/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Dye Removers [ 2 Answers ]

I had a question about hair dye removers. I heard that Prell Shampoo is good for removing unwanted hair dye. Is that true? I also heard you can go to the salon and have them take out all the hair dye from your hair. I'm not just confused about removing hair dyes, I know there's ways to do it, I...

I can't make spyware/adware go away! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - A few days ago I accidentally clicked on a popup window while trying to click another link and immediately my computer began spewing ads... I have Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot on my computer and I have run numerous scans and gotten rid of countless infections, but they keep...

Spyware/adware on dell wireless laptop? [ 4 Answers ]

I have win xp pro. My son bought a dell inspiron 1150 laptop (wireless). We hooked up the router to my desktop and cable modem. My question is, if my son gets spyware/adware on his computer, will that spyware/adware go on my desktop since we are hooked up to my cable modem? This might sound like a...

Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that 90% of computers are infected with BackWeb. Does anyone have any information on BackWeb? Is BackWeb a virus, spyware, or adware?

Spyware and adware [ 1 Answers ]

It seems I have a shedload of adwware and spyware infections. They keep hijacking my home page and I'm besieged with pop-ups, all of which tell me I have adware and spyware on my PC and offering to clean it off for a price. Obviously I don't trust these pop-ups as they are adware in themselves. ...

View more questions Search