Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    get8p Posts: 59, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
    I'm asking for the explanation of an expression "Hold your cap in the ranks".
    Asking this for the third time.

Explain to me please, what does this expression mean? It's a movie quote. It's being said by the leader of the cavalry squad, while they were crossing the field.
    Troop halt! Dismount leads. Hold your cap in the ranks.

Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
    If someone knew you would get an answer. Posting again doesn't change the fact that apparently no one knows.

Anyone who has read your other posts probably isn't going to take the time to answer - life is aggravating enough! https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ml#post3156005
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Which movie? What is the time?

Jun 20, 2012, 09:54 AM
    Hey, Wondergirl.
    It's a quote from the film "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", 1949.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
    I really don't want to rent the movie, so I checked IMDB.com for quotes, but don't see that particular one. I Googled librarian-style and found this site that says the actual quote is "Hold your step in the ranks!"

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - 00:42

Does that page on that site make it easier to understand what is going on and also give you the answer to your question?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I really don't want to rent the movie, so I checked IMDB.com for quotes, but don't see that particular one. I Googled librarian-style and found this site that says the actual quote is "Hold your step in the ranks!"

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - 00:42

Does that page on that site make it easier to understand what is going on and also give you the answer to your question?

That's some good research! Wow!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    That's some good research! Wow!
    Thirty years of answering reference questions and knowing my stuff finally paid off.

Jun 21, 2012, 08:41 AM
    I understand it now, and Thank You for that.
    The link you gave me - awesome stuff, that'll keep me busy from asking questions like this for a while=)
    The search on site doesn't seems to be working so well, but Google helps us here. If you try something like http://goo.gl/OzQtA, it makes search a lot easier.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Thirty years of answering reference questions and knowing my stuff finally paid off.
    Whoa, I had no idea... Erudite level: Wondergirl!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

What is the definition of a "genomic expression library?" [ 1 Answers ]

What is the definition of a genomic expression library? Especially when applied to bacteria.

"that government is best which interferes the least" is an expression of individualis [ 2 Answers ]

"that govenrment is best which interferes the least" is an expression of individualism

View more questions Search