Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmh01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
    How can I break a rental lease that "cannot" be broken?
    I have a Florida rental lease that isn't up until July of 2008 (one year lease) The leasing agent said it COULD NOT be broken. I need to break my lease due to a family crisis back home in NC. I need to move back to NC ASAP. Anyone know anything about this? :confused:
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2007, 02:03 PM
    What does your lease say?

There is usually a clause in a lease stating what would happen if the lease is broken.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Most leases can't be broken, that's why landlords have you sign them. You have a hardship and should discuss this with the LL. You are legally responsible for the entire rent untila sutitible replacement tenant moves in plus advertising costs. The LL may offer you a buy out but no matter what it is going to cost you.
    SharonfromHoboken Posts: 14, Reputation: 7

Oct 5, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hmh01
    I have a Florida rental lease that isn't up until July of 2008 (one year lease) The leasing agent said it COULD NOT be broken. I need to break my lease due to a family crisis back home in NC. I need to move back to NC ASAP. Anyone know anything about this?!:confused:
    No one can force you to continue to live there, and there is no such things as a lease that "can't" be broken.

The real issue is what will it cost if you do break the lease. Florida currently limits landlords to actual damages, meaning the rent and advertising etc until a new tenant is found. Or your lease could specify the penalty. As long as the penalty is not contrary to law, you may be stuck with whatever that may be.

Get your lease and make an appointment with a landlord/tenant lawyer and see what options are available to you, and what each one will cost.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Why not try putting an ad to sublease the apartment yourself. Maybe you can find a new tenant yourself and avoid paying penalty fees.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 09:38 PM
    What you are really wanting to know is how can you move and not cost you a lot of money. OF course you can "break" the lease, you just move, and it is broken, you broke it, But you will then have to pay all the costs and penalty for doing that
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Hello hm:

It can't be broken because Florida allows landlords to collect rent for the entire lease term whether somebody lives there or not. He can just kick back on his porch and get paid... No, it's not fair. And yes, Florida is the only state that does that.

If you can negotiate your way out for a few months rent, I would. From a landlord's perspective, cash in hand is better than a long distance lawsuit.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend "wants a break" - I don't know what to do [ 219 Answers ]

Hello all, I have read quite a few of the longer discussions which have taken place here, and I hope that you can help me with mine. My girlfriend and I have been seeing each other for just shy of 3 years. Last week, she told me that she didn't feel for me as she used to, she just didn't...

Rent to Own Home-"lease options" Connecticut Laws? [ 6 Answers ]

Looking into a rent-to-own home from "Homes R Us". Any advice? We're meeting with the seller tomorrow and I want to be a bit more educated about the Connecticut laws before heading in there. Thanks in advance. Mary

My Girlfriend of a year and a half.she wants a "break". [ 129 Answers ]

All right people. I'm feeling really down so I thought I'd come here to tell you my story and maybe get a bit of advice.. I've been going out with my girlfriend for a year and a half.. she's 15 and I'm 16. Our relationship had everything, we went to each other's house nearly every day, we went...

Fianc?e needs a break/space/"a nap" [ 9 Answers ]

Hello all, first time poster here, so I apologize if I break any of the rules :confused: . My fiancée and I met about 3 years ago and started dating 1.5 years ago. After 4 months we were engaged and had planned to get married in Summer 2007 (I want to finish college). After a year of being...

Broken Concrete trap "Drainage Pipe" [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house with a unfinished basement bath. I have since decided to finish the bathroom but have ran into a bit of a problem. The previous owners set all of the drains up and I have since found a large hole in the trap of a secondary drain that drains into the main. To explain it...

View more questions Search