Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oliveoil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Summons-Can I pay it before it goes to court?
    Received a summons from a debt collector and was wondering if I could pay the debt before the 20 days to respond are up? If I can pay the debt who do I pay it to? (The debt collector or the hospital?) If I do this will I still have to pay court fees and service fees? If I pay this do I still answer the summons? Help would be much appreciated.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
    If you are being asked by a collection agency to pay a debt, you should pay the collection agency. The hospital may not likely take your money if you pay it to them since they are not handling your account anymore. Chances are that since your account was turned over to collections, that the hospital is only going to be getting part of the money owed to them anyway.

If you pay off the debt quickly, there is the possibility that the collection agency may drop their action in court.

If you go to court, there are going to be some costs for that. If you pay off the debt before your court date, and bring proof to the court that you have paid the debt, it will be up to the judge as to whether you will have to pay any court fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Summons to appear in court [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have received a summons to appear in court, this is for an outstanding credit card debt that is around 4 years old. I have tried to find out what the statute of limitations are in Colordo is, but am getting conflicting answers. Please help, and if possible, some examples I can site.

Just issued a court summons for tues [ 11 Answers ]

My roommate called and a court summons was sent to our building but to the neighbors postal box, the neighbor brought it over and I am to appear on tues in court in regards to a debt with a credit card. I looked online and saw the case history and even though they have my address and work number...

Court Summons [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, my boyfriend received a court summons for an upaid credit card debt of 2500 plus interest. We tried to make a payment years ago but they refused because we could not pay in full-like $50 a month. On the summons paper it says for us to get a lawyer and we need to respond within 30 days....

Court Summons for debt collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Today, I have been served by a court clerk who came to my home and gave me a letter stating that I have 20 days to file a response in court in regards to a credit card debt collection. I really don't know the agency but I am suspecting that one of the credit cards I have must sold the...

View more questions Search