Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    march357 Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

Feb 2, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Is there a time limit on taxes and/or refunds?
    Is there a time limit on refunds owed to a person or taxes owed the government? If a person found an error from 20yrs ago, can they claim the funds after all that time? Or is it too late? What if the person that's owed money has passed away? Any help would be appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Regarding the refund, all refunds must be claimed no later than three years after the original filing deadline. That means any refund for years prior to 2003 have been forfeited by law.

Owed taxes are another story. If the person is alive, he will have to pay up. If he is deceased, the estate has to pay IF the estate has the assets to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Do I need to claim my part-time job on my taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place this year. I am a single 31 year old male who has 2 jobs. 1 full-time job where I made $16,956.00, and a part-time job where I made $2,002.00 in 2006. When I got my W-2 for my part-time job, I discovered that no federal taxes were taken out. So...

Tax refunds from prior year [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there my name is amanda and I have never filed my taxes on my own before. So I was wondering do you have to put down the tax refunds from federal and state from the year before? Also are these refunds considered a wage? Thank you Amanda

What's the time limit for filing charges on someone writing a bad check [ 4 Answers ]

How long do you have to make charges against some for writing a bad check. It was a family member and I wasn't trying to go to court but she refuse to pay it's been a year and she's about to move out of the state.

View more questions Search