Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WIL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Roommate owes me $ but I got his stuff
    Ex roommate has not lived at the house or paid rent for 3 months,at end of 3rd month he gathered his stuff in the house,I told him that I will be keeping his dirt bike, street bike, and welder as collateral he makes no attempt to contact me so I put his stuff in a storage locker. When can I sell his stuff to get my money and how would I get the bikes in my name?This is going on since Oct. 06
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Legally, never. You may be angry with him and have some legal recourse but you can not hold his belongings, legally, or sell them. Your better bet is to file in small claims court. If you both signed the lease you're in good shape. If you have no written agreement to share the rent your ice just got real thin.
    amberkloss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 01:55 AM

I'm in a similar situation, roommate hasn't paid rent in 2 months, and of course I'm kicking myself for this, but she never signed a lease, I trusted her as a friend, I know... bad move on my behalf! But if I were to take her to small claims court, any crazy chance you may know an estimated cost of this? Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amberkloss View Post
    I'm in a similar situation, roommate hasn't paid rent in 2 months, and of course I'm kicking myself for this, but she never signed a lease, I trusted her as a friend, I know...bad move on my behalf! But if I were to take her to small claims court, any crazy chance you may know an estimated cost of this? Thanks!

Cost varies by State - call your local Small Claims Clerk and ask the filing fee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend who owes me money wants to evict me [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived with my girlfriend for eight years. The house is in her name, and I pay her a monthy rent, plus half of utilites and other such expenses. She is also a student, and I have loaned her significant ammounts of money over the past four years, to help with her school expenses. ...

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Roommate owes 1500 in unpaid rent [ 1 Answers ]

I am from Michigan and my roommate who is supposed to be paying rent from us took our money and did god knows what with. He hasn't paid for a few months, totalling $1500. The landlord knows this, if he doesn't pay all the money before our last mont of rent is due can I sue him so we aren't stuck...

Employer owes overtime [ 5 Answers ]

My former employer never pays overtime. They are a small, family business who pays only cash for OT, as well as improper business practices as cash sales undeclared etc. My brother still is there and is owed years of correct OT- I told him to report them to IRS, and Labor but he knows he will be in...

When a roommate moves and leave their stuff [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate has moved out, but all of his stuff is still in the apartment. I am the *only* one on the lease. My landlord knew he was their and not legally on the lease. He won't answer my phone calls, and has not called me back. Can I remove his things myself or is this illegal? Is there a time of...

View more questions Search