Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hank2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Judgement on my credit report
    On Dec 19, I lost (I settled) a libel suit in a philadelphia district court because the other party, which had deep pockets said they would bring in an expert to show I harmed their business, even though my comments were true. My lawyer sold me out and I agreed to pay 2,500.00. Question>> if I agreed to pay this in 14 days, will it still appear on my credit report, and if it does how bad will it effect my score? Thanks for your response(s):(
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Dec 28, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Hank usually the courts are EXTREMELY quick to place judgements on your credit and make it very very difficult to have them removed. Often after they are removed from your credit they will resurface again and again later. I know this is not the news you want to hear, but it's how it is. The best thing you can do is pay the money to them as quickly as you are able and check your credit with all three major bureaus in about two months. You need to wait that long because it may take that long before the information the court sends to them actually surfaces on your reports. The three bureaus are Trans Union, Experian, and Equifax and they all have .com sites. You are allowed to receive free credit reports from each of them to ensure accuracy. If the judgement does appear, I would not recommend disputing it with the bureaus directly, as they will continue to resurface at a later date and this will frustrate and upset you. If it appears, I would look for a Credit Services Organization in your state that is bonded and registered with the State Attorney General's office. The idea of using a company like this is that once they repair the inaccuracy it will be permanent.

Hope this helps.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 11:25 AM
    If you pay it in a timely manner it shouldn't appear on your credit report.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 29, 2006, 01:25 PM
    Since this was not a judgement for unpaid debt, it shouldn't appear on your credit report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit report [ 11 Answers ]

On my credit report I have a collection agency that reported first in 1999 Just when that was about to be removed from my credit report they (the collection agency)sold the account to another collection agency who re-reported it and now it will be 7 more years before it will be removed.it is the...

Credit report help [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania I was listed as an authorized user on a family member's credit card. This account has turned into a collection account and I found out that it has affected my credit report negatively. I want to get the fact straight before I decide whether I want to...

Judgement on credit report [ 2 Answers ]

I won a judgement in NYC and would like to know how I go about placing it on the persons credit report. I've heard that it's called a fieri facias. Thanks

Credit Report [ 2 Answers ]

If you purchase a vehicle at a buy here pay here lot and they don't view your credit to get this vehicle can they report a repossession on your credit report years after the vehicle was taken back?

Judgement on Credit Report [ 3 Answers ]

I had a problem with my landlord a few years back. The check I wrote him bounced, and he pressed charges. I ending up having to pay fines, which I paid on time, and was told that it all would be taken off my record. I think it was called "ARD." My questions is: Why is the total amount of the...

View more questions Search